From Hell to Paradise: “Single’s Inferno” Season 2

Sam Salubre

Hitting Netflix’s Global Top 10 list, Korean dating show “Single’s Inferno” Season 2 has become a bigger hit than its first with ten episodes full of swoon-worthy moments. Following the same eight-day retreat format on an island with no internet, electricity, or distractions, the new batch of gorgeous individuals adds a captivating dynamic that keeps viewers cheering for their favorite contestants. “Single’s Inferno’s” refreshing connections and unconventional take on dating make the show’s cheesy romantic scenes and fervid love triangles easy for anyone to fall in love with.

Viewers watch along with the show’s hosts as contestants enter the “Inferno,” an isolated campground located on an island off the coast of Incheon. Competitors put their strength, skills, and endurance to the test in daily competitions as winners receive a private lunch date set up by the producers to get closer to two people of their choice. Each day ends with a blind pick, where contestants who are mutually chosen visit “Paradise” for a night in an extravagant five-star resort. 

But there’s a catch. They can’t talk about their personal lives, including their age or profession, until they make a match in Paradise.

From different twists added to the game, such as being unable to choose someone twice and the addition of charismatic newcomers on the fifth and sixth days, “Single’s Inferno’s” second season keeps viewers engaged as tensions rise with the return to “Inferno” each day. The show’s distinct touch is the absence of monetary incentive for the couples who get to escape to “Paradise,” encouraging contestants to concentrate on falling in love. 

Unlike traditional dating shows like “The Bachelor” or “Love is Blind,” “Single’s Inferno” takes a more innocent approach that stresses the importance of little moments that build a relationship. On a remote island, contestants are forced to focus on making connections and finding someone who likes them for who they are. The grueling survival aspect of the show and its physical challenges, from the sweltering heat to cooking their meals by the fire, breeds natural bonds that make audiences swoon over the smallest gestures. 

Season 2’s new cast, complete with a more diverse selection of individuals, quickly engages the audience with their vulnerability and authenticity. Though tensions arise as competitors end up liking the same person, they continue to be caring towards each other, creating a close-knit community of meaningful friendships. From leaving the audience on the edge of their seats as suitors vie for someone’s attention to sympathizing with contestants’ unrequited attraction, this season’s rollercoaster of emotions keeps viewers addicted as contestants navigate love.

“Single’s Inferno” wraps up the second season with unexpected final couplings, though many agree that this season’s journey has left them more than satisfied as audiences readily stay up-to-date with the latest news on the cast’s relationships. A group camping trip with the spice of romantic competition, the show introduces a refreshing, lighthearted take on dating that will make each little moment worthwhile as viewers cheer on their favorite contestants.

About the Contributors
Zoharys Jaen
Zoharys Jaen, Lifestyle Editor

Dedicated, hardworking, aggressively extroverted, and perhaps optimistic to a detriment, Zoharys Jaen is in her Senior year at Oxford and has been a member of Gamut staff since the 9th grade. First joining due to encouragement from her English teacher Ms. Galvan,  along with being interested in a chance for her work to be published and printed, she now serves as Gamuts Lifestyle editor. Though looking to constantly keep herself busy, she still finds free time to indulge in reading and watching romantic comedies which include the number 10 in their title, such as “10 Things I Hate About You” and “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.” Zoharys both plays and listens to music, her mastered instruments including both the piano to ukulele, and music taste ranging from Classical to K-pop. Her other assorted hobbies and interests include but are not limited to knitting, baking and reading poetry.

Sam Salubre
Sam Salubre, Senior Staff Artist
Sam Salubre, or Wild, joined the Gamut staff as a freshman who was approached by our previous advisor, Mrs. Galvan. Sam is one of our illustrators at the Gamut and they were inspired by minecraft youtubers and Undertale as a third grader. Since they were inspired by Undertale, it's only obvious to guess that they love video games, such as Genshin Impact and Pokemon. Not only are the games fun to play but they’ve learned about different artstyles from the animation. Salubre is from the Philippines but hates a certain Filipino sour soup even though they like sour candies. Funny, imaginative and a good role model, Salubre can often be found sipping on a mango shake or a peach-flavored soda from 89 ranch market. Now as a senior at Oxford Academy, they’re looking forward to working with the new staff members and improving on the Gamslam the most!

Activate Search