Choir takes the stage with “Once On This Island”

Weeks of practice culminate in this weekend’s performances at KPAC
Victor Do
Freshman choir practicing “We Dance” in the choir room for the OA Singers’ upcoming musical, “Once on This Island” (Photo by Victor Do)

“Once on This Island”, Oxford’s third-ever complete musical performance, is coming to fruition on Nov. 3rd and 4th as a pleasant change of pace from the previous fragmented show format, which encompassed songs from a variety of musicals. Embracing the challenges, the OA singers are ready to bring another musical to life. 

“Once on This Island” follows peasant Ti Moune as she falls in love with a man of opposing status and bargains with the gods for his life after a devastating car crash. The leads, sophomore Ava Pitts and 8th grader Jack Sequeira, have been honing their performances through one-on-one practice with the choir teacher and program director Mr. Hogan.

“[Meetings] on Tuesdays are for me or other roles to meet with Mr. Hogan personally to learn individuals’ songs and solos better and develop a character,” said Pitts, “It allows me to have more sense of security in the music that I’m working on.”

Alongside the performance aspect of musical production, the set-building and costume-making team have been working together to immerse viewers in a lively, tropical paradise. From lush, lofty palm trees to run-down huts, these details enhance the economic divide that drives the conflict of the musical.

“We will be building a tiny shack; this is in direct contrast to the home of the wealthy Grand Hommes which is going to be a mansion,” said sophomore set-builder Santiago Pleitez. “The mansion will have silver gates and tall pillars while the shack’s walls won’t be fully built and will have trash everywhere.”

To construct these detailed designs, choir students and parents have been participating in weekly Saturday workdays.

“We work primarily on the woodwork, but now that we have a few pieces done, we will begin painting the sets,” said Pleitez. “The environment is very hospitable. We all get along and not only are you helping build, but also learning life skills [like] how to use the tools.”

Along with the more student-reliant parts of the process, plans to include new professionals in this upcoming show have been postponed. With the passing of Proposition 28 —  a state-wide initiative to fiscally support arts and music education — funds have been allocated to the choir department but not yet applied.

“I hope to hire an accompanist who would be here in class with us, that would then be able to lead the band when we do our performances,” said Mr. Hogan. “The second person I want to hire is a part time choreographer that would be on staff and [present] more than our normal choreographers are.”

These additions will be sure to up the caliber of future shows, as students get to spend more time in class cleaning up choreography, as well as more guidance while learning new music. 

The OA Singers continue to solidify their new musical approach to fall shows this year, embracing new changes for a show to be proud of and demonstrating how additional resources and opportunities can make a new level of creativity possible. With all the behind-the-scenes effort put into “Once On This Island,” the show is sure to be worth the watch.

Jimena Beltran
Jimena Beltran, Staff Writer
Junior Jimena Beltran is beginning her first year in Gamut as a staff writer. After going to GamSlam, The Gamut’s annual slam poetry event, Jimena was instantly enamored by it — inspiring her to join The Gamut to help plan the event and share her opinions in her writing. In addition to exploring her writing skills through The Gamut this year, Jimena is also Co-Vice President of The Film Society and plans to actively volunteer with Key Club. With an eclectic range of interests — from her passion for theology, looking into the meaning in text and greater truths about humanity and history, to various hobbies that can last for weeks or even just days — Jimena is ready to take on the world, or perhaps just Gamut for the time being. Beyond Oxford, Jimena’s aspirations range from trying out as a mailman, at least once, to buying her very own yacht. For now, checking the lottery numbers everyday — even though she can’t play — and checking yacht websites to scout out the best deals (that she can’t purchase just yet) will have to suffice.
Gia Nguyen
Gia Nguyen, Assistant Art/Layout/Web Content Editor

Serving his second year, meet Gia Nguyen, the beloved assistant layout editor of The Gamut. Gia’s story with the newspaper began when he decided the structured format of OA’s art program wasn’t for him. Instead, he prefers the freedom that journalism offered him, allowing him to experiment with his art style, and incorporate art with an academic field. Outside of diligently working on Gamut’s art and layout, you can find Gia bopping to the Spider Verse movie soundtrack, tearing up to emotional movies, taking refreshing walks, and cooking and baking (he makes a mean chicken fettuccine alfredo). Despite having a patient demeanor, Gia has a few dislikes: going through the motions, math and science, and wet and mushy foods (wet spinach irks him). With a passionate personality, Gia is excited for this year in Gamut, personally aiming to have a strong work ethic and improve the quality of his Gamut drafts.