The ultimate last-minute Halloween survival guide

Chris Phan

Halloween full of spiders, screams, and sweets is crawling just around the corner, but life’s sticky web of responsibilities has you racing against a ticking clock. Whether assignments have feasted on your schedule, or you’re simply hunting for effortlessly eerie ways to celebrate the holiday, here are some tricks up our sleeves to help survive the night!

Creepy Crafts 

Before the moon rises, revamp your humble abode into a wicked lair worthy of being haunted by spirits with DIY decorations that won’t devour your wallet. Canon Creative Park offers free paper craft templates, such as a Halloween market diorama, ornament tree, mobiles, and Jack-O’-lanterns. The colorful crafts come with detailed instructions and range from various difficulty levels, making it a ghoulishly fun activity the whole family can easily enjoy. Halloween shouldn’t be spent in the dark, so conjure up a ghastly glow with mummy or ghost mason jar lanterns. Simply wrap or drape a jar with toilet paper, draw on freaky facial expressions, and place a tealight candle inside for an uncomplicated, yet bewitching decoration. As a final touch, greet wandering trick-or-treaters with a trail of enchanting painted rocks designed with Halloween-themed monsters, pumpkins, or skeletons!

Scream-worthy snacks

Decorating works up an appetite, so making simple delicious snacks is a must! Transform hotdogs or jalapeño cheese poppers into savory mummified magic by wrapping them in biscuit dough. For an ‘iris’-istible dessert, create eyeball bites by coating cake pops or donut holes in white frosting and rustic red details. If you want a more brain-teasing treat, brew up some bloody cinnamon rolls by smothering on red frosting for a gory morsel of sugar and spice bound to hypnotize your tastebuds. Get a little handsy by baking hand-shaped hand pies stuffed with an array of fillings, from salty, hearty meat to sweet jams. Cupcakes are always a classic, but elevate them into mystical masterpieces with Halloween-themed decorations, such as a creepy-crawly spider or a witch’s feet with Oreos, pretzels, and frosting. 

Frightening Festivities

As the night settles down, there’s no need to venture outdoors or cough up cash to have fun! Create a makeshift haunted house and challenge friends and family to a mysterious Halloween scavenger hunt or escape room. Hide candy and themed items and design your own puzzles (or utilize online examples) to add a layer of thrill and competition. Keep that spooky spirit up with a game night involving activities like candy taste testing, board games, trivia, and charades, with a spine-chilling quality. When the sky darkens to a deep midnight blue, gather around to set the mood for a candlelit ghost or urban legend storytelling session, with tales from the Internet or your very own.

Halloween is supposed to be a fun day about imagination and making memories with loved ones, so enjoy the spontaneity of last-minute preparations and make the most out of the holiday whether you have a day, hours, or just a few minutes!

About the Contributors
Jasmine Nguyen
Jasmine Nguyen, Staff Writer
Jasmine Nguyen is one of the many new names on the Gamut staff list this year. Coming in as a sophomore, Jasmine is looking forward to writing in the Op-Ed and News sections, and she is excited to create new bonds within the Gamut community. She can be described as a very mellow and relaxed individual, but she is always looking forward to new challenges. A few very interesting facts about Miss Nguyen are that she loves dogs, her favorite color is pastel pink, and her favorite comfort movie is Barbie and the Diamond Castle. For her, the movie also carries the nostalgic feeling of watching Sparkles and Lily, a pair of dancing puppies from the film preform their truly iconic number, along with an amazingly written plot. Although not super into pop culture, some of Jasmine's favorite artists consist of Joji, 88rising, and NIKI, and she would even describe herself as a “closeted Swiftie." Overall, Jasmine is excited to start her Gamut journey this year and is ready for what is ahead.
Chris Phan
Chris Phan, Art Editor
As a sophomore and first-year illustrator, Chris Phan joined the Gamut for the opportunity to improve and publish his digital artworks, meet new people of all grade levels, and have fun with his friends. This summer, Chris spent lots of his time developing his artistic talents, which first originated from watching anime and feeling inspired to create art in the fifth grade. Despite his creative endeavors as a publicist in OA HOSA and children’s book illustrator in the OCAPICA ROOTED program, Chris enjoys STEM subjects, such as biotechnology, and sees himself going down the medical path. School aside, some of his other interests and hobbies include jamming out to indie rock, watching the T.V. show “House”, and munching on spicy chips (which his stomach can’t handle). His dream vacation is to visit the East Coast – especially to venture around the dirty subways of New York!