Disney has audience “Wish”-ing on next big hit

Gia Nguyen

Disney’s upcoming musical-movie “Wish” is to be released Nov. 22, leaving fans with high expectations for the one-of-a-kind film. “Wish” will contain many essential Disney characteristics, revolving around Disney’s leading symbol, the wishing star. A chance to redeem Disney from previously underperforming animated films, “Wish” could potentially affirm the franchise’s ability to produce epochal films all while providing new twists to the classic Disney movie format.

“Wish” follows Disney’s first Afro-Latina princess, Asha, as she journeys to stop the power-hungry King Magnifico and bring results to all people who wish upon a star. The movie further explores the idea of where the wishing star came from and the hopes it brings. 

Produced by Peter Del Vecho whose previous works include “Frozen,” “Raya and the Last Dragon,” and “Princess and the Frog,” “Wish” includes all the magical elements symbolic of Del Vecho’s works. A lively musical fantasy, the film will be animated in a timeless watercolor style blended with contemporary CG 3D animation. However, what makes this film even more special are the blended components of 3D animation, which Disney utilized most commonly in the past decade with films “Frozen,” “Moana,” and “Encanto.” This unique animation approach is bound to leave viewers breathless in the visual beauty that Disney is best known for. 

Furthermore, the soundtrack for Disney’s new movie is not to disappoint; composed by Dave Metzgar (“Tarzan”) and written by Julia Michaels (five-time Grammy nominee), the music score is sure to fulfill audience expectations of a classic Disney tale. “The Wish,” sung by Ariana DeBose who plays Asha, first captured viewers’ attention with its inclusion in the official trailer. Available on Spotify, the song’s melody and instrumentals encompass the wistful yet ambitious tone of the movie. Moreover, Ariana’s heartfelt voice carries Asha’s struggle to make more for herself and for Rosas.

“Wish,” though continuing to carry on Disney’s iconic features of princesses, wishes, and magical fantasy, also has its differences from original Disney films. Asha, being another female protagonist of color following Tiana, Moana, and Raya, leaves many fans excited to see the representation in diversity throughout the movie. North African influences on the film’s architecture and costumes diversify the typical Europeanized setting of previous Disney movies, creating a world more people may be able to find themselves in. 

As the viewers see more and more independent female protagonists who pave their own way instead of waiting to be saved by a prince, “Wish” is an exciting addition to the continuing line of female warriors in Disney’s films. Coinciding with Disney’s 100th anniversary, “Wish” will successfully pay homage to Disney’s roots, referencing the iconic wishing star. With strong, Afro-Latina representation as the new headlining princess along with masterful scores and animation, “Wish” might just be Disney’s next big hit.

Audrey Lee
Audrey Lee, Staff Writer
Audrey Lee is a freshman joining the Gamut as a staff writer. She joined Gamut with a love for literature, wanting to experience what it is like being a student journalist. She is also very excited about Gamut events like Secret Santa and the OCJEA competition. One of her favorite pastimes is reading, with Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand as one of her favorite books of all time. She is also passionate about volleyball and has even earned a spot on the Oxford Varsity volleyball team. Despite being one of the youngest members on the team, she feels like there is no barrier between her and her upperclassmen teammates; something that she loves about this team is that they are all very encouraging and they let her know that she can make an impact in the team regardless of her age. Besides practicing volleyball or reading, Audrey tends to be active in the OASIS club and hopes to join more clubs this school year.
Gia Nguyen
Gia Nguyen, Assistant Art/Layout/Web Content Editor

Serving his second year, meet Gia Nguyen, the beloved assistant layout editor of The Gamut. Gia’s story with the newspaper began when he decided the structured format of OA’s art program wasn’t for him. Instead, he prefers the freedom that journalism offered him, allowing him to experiment with his art style, and incorporate art with an academic field. Outside of diligently working on Gamut’s art and layout, you can find Gia bopping to the Spider Verse movie soundtrack, tearing up to emotional movies, taking refreshing walks, and cooking and baking (he makes a mean chicken fettuccine alfredo). Despite having a patient demeanor, Gia has a few dislikes: going through the motions, math and science, and wet and mushy foods (wet spinach irks him). With a passionate personality, Gia is excited for this year in Gamut, personally aiming to have a strong work ethic and improve the quality of his Gamut drafts.