“Working-class” is not the style for celebrities

From red carpets to Walmart aisles, celebrities are deserting their glitz for grit.
Rowan Lee

In the ever-evolving landscape of celebrity culture, the once-captivating allure of luxury and fortune has lost its glitz and glamour. Amid the destructive COVID-19 pandemic and the ongoing financial crisis, the public is no longer tolerant of celebrities unabashedly flaunting their wealth, prompting a peculiar trend of famous faces abandoning “flex culture” for the “working-class aesthetic.”

Celebrities have increasingly sought to align themselves with their audience’s everyday lives and struggles in their pursuit of relatability, presenting a facade of genuineness and humility. However, while this shift is fueled by a desire to be unpretentious and laudable, the glorification of being “working-class” by rich celebrities is tone-deaf and inadvertently both highlights and diminishes socioeconomic disparities.

the glorification of being “working-class” by rich celebrities is tone-deaf and inadvertently both highlights and diminishes socioeconomic disparities.

For example, in an ad campaign promoting their new “Be Happy Snacks” popcorn brand, social media influencers, the D’Amelio sisters, donned Walmart uniforms as they pretended to work at the grocery store. Despite being an attempt to appear down-to-earth and connect with fans, the video glorified the draining job of a Walmart cashier, portraying it as fun and lighthearted as a punchline. This struck a nerve and infuriated audiences on social media who deemed it out of touch, particularly as millions depend on similar minimum-wage jobs to make ends meet.

In an interview segment in the 2023 docuseries “Beckham,” designer and singer Victoria Beckham claimed to be from a “very working-class family” only to be called out by her husband, eventually admitting that her family owned a Rolls-Royce. The move to associate with the working class communicates to audiences that these celebrities understand their fans’ financial strife and thus should not be lumped in with the scrutinized wealthy elite and their extravagant lifestyles, emblematic of broader class inequality.

This narrative allows celebrities to justify their wealth in the first place. The obsession with being perceived as self-made causes these famous figures to romanticize the classic rags-to-riches story. By portraying themselves as individuals who earned their immense wealth through sheer determination and hard work, celebrities can sit on the moral high ground that they deserve every last penny of their financial success. This perpetuates the myth of a meritocracy, conveniently glossing over systemic disparities, as celebrities often downplay or refuse to acknowledge their early wealth and nepotism that might have paved an easier way to stardom.

Ongoing inflation and financial distress from the pandemic serve as a harsh reality check of persisting socioeconomic disparity. While celebrities glorify and profit from the working-class aesthetic, they rarely discuss or show open support for measures that could help the people they are emulating. Celebrities, with their massive platform and influence, have the ability to amplify marginalized voices and educate their audiences on policies that tackle the roots of class inequality. The failure to consistently advocate for systemic changes, like universal healthcare and increased minimum wage, poke holes in their professed solidarity for the working class.

Wealthy celebrities’ adoption of the working-class aesthetic also contributes to glaring double standards. What might be perceived as edgy, artsy, or chic when embraced by affluent individuals is often condemned and results in negative consequences for those of lower socioeconomic status. For example, if they engage in behaviors like drug use, it is viewed with allure or given more empathy and legal leniency. The nuances behind their behaviors are often more explored, considering factors such as mental health, while lower-income individuals are stigmatized as “druggies” or moral failures. This hypocrisy transcends beyond societal perceptions, impacting job prospects and respectability for the working class.

Romanticizing poverty is paradoxical. While celebrities have the financial freedom to emulate any lifestyle they want, those they imitate lack the means to escape their circumstances. Celebrities should be held accountable for using the “working class aesthetic” as a mere costume to help their image and publicity. It is imperative to acknowledge and understand the systemic issues and implications of economic disparity, moving beyond superficial portrayals to steer toward meaningful discourse and solutions.

Romanticizing poverty is paradoxical. While celebrities have the financial freedom to emulate any lifestyle they want, those they imitate lack the means to escape their circumstances.

Jasmine Nguyen
Jasmine Nguyen, Staff Writer
Jasmine Nguyen is one of the many new names on the Gamut staff list this year. Coming in as a sophomore, Jasmine is looking forward to writing in the Op-Ed and News sections, and she is excited to create new bonds within the Gamut community. She can be described as a very mellow and relaxed individual, but she is always looking forward to new challenges. A few very interesting facts about Miss Nguyen are that she loves dogs, her favorite color is pastel pink, and her favorite comfort movie is Barbie and the Diamond Castle. For her, the movie also carries the nostalgic feeling of watching Sparkles and Lily, a pair of dancing puppies from the film preform their truly iconic number, along with an amazingly written plot. Although not super into pop culture, some of Jasmine's favorite artists consist of Joji, 88rising, and NIKI, and she would even describe herself as a “closeted Swiftie." Overall, Jasmine is excited to start her Gamut journey this year and is ready for what is ahead.
Rowan Lee
Rowan Lee, Art/Layout Editor
Aside from finally graduating, Rowan Lee is looking most forward to serving as The Gamut’s Art and Layout Editor for their final year of high school. Their go-to hobbies are drawing and painting: an explanation as to why they immediately applied to join The Gamut staff after learning there were drawing positions available, along with their having illustrated for The Gamut for the past 3 years. Outside of the Gamut, Rowan takes their fascination with Japanese culture to the OA Japanese Club, where they serve as Tech Chair. When they’re not busy taking on their various roles at school, drawing fanart for Jujutsu Kaisen (their favorite anime of all time), or jamming out to their 3-hour long SE SO NEON playlist, Rowan guiltily admits that they spend their free time playing Valorant or watching VTubers (virtual YouTubers). Rowan honestly confesses that their Senioritis has been kicking in since Junior year, but as the diligent worker they are, they vow to push through till the very night they toss their cap into the air at Handel Stadium.