Intriguing OC swap meets and markets to explore

Miriam Santos
Mouth-watering snacks: Food trucks at the Cypress College swap meet offer an abundant amount of cultural snacks such as raspados, chicarrones, and chamoy-drenched fruit. (Photo by Miriam Santos)

Orange County is home to various swap meets and farmers markets filled with charming small businesses to support and explore with friends or family. As Valentine’s Day is coming up, be on the lookout for V-Day stands that sell lovely, perhaps artisanal, gifts that are just right for friends and family! If you enjoy finding hidden treasures or love a good walk, follow this quick guide to find unique markets around OC. Make sure to wear sunscreen and comfy shoes, bring a basket for the goodies you’ll discover, and have fun venturing into these treasure troves!

9200 Valley View St, Cypress

A little more than a mile away from Oxford, Cypress College hosts a swap meet every weekend from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. You can find almost anything in this crowded parking lot, from fresh produce and flowers to hardware tools and vintage furniture. Cypress Swap Meet also includes multiple clothing booths and food stands with ice cream, cultural food, and juicy fruit displayed for passersby to purchase. If you get thirsty after wandering around the booths, buy some refreshing aguas frescas or milkshakes which are scattered around the area.

10401 Beach Blvd, Stanton

A truly wondrous place to be, Indoor Swapmeet of Stanton is open Monday and Wednesday to Friday from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Having two stories takes this swap meet to the next level: Clothing, jewelry, technology, and accessories create a fascinating atmosphere of organized chaos that will attract anyone to explore further. With a nail and hair salon, pet shop, and arcade on the second floor, this indoor swap meet will leave you with a truly unique experience.

Great Park 8000 Great Park Blvd.,  Irvine

Certified Farmers Market harbors numerous stalls of fresh fruits and vegetables at Great Park on Sundays. From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., this park presents a variety of vendors that sell fresh produce, ready-to-eat fruits, desserts, drinks, and much more. This park also provides a Farm+Food Lab, a special way to learn about gardening your own produce Tuesday through Sunday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. An outdoor solar-powered kitchen, seed exchange library, free-reign chickens, and a pollinator garden are just a few of the educational spaces included in this program!

8000-8092 La Palma Ave, Buena Park 

Every Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., busy farmers and small business owners alike gather near Buena Park Downtown Mall to offer their best merchandise. Fruits, vegetables, fresh cultural food, and baked goods stands populate the market, giving it a homey and friendly vibe. Some stalls sell plants to take care of and use as ingredients or keep them in their pots for cozy decorations. Several stalls also offer artisan crafts, including jewelry, clothing, and leather goods.

You can easily discover a new favorite food or the cutest decoration that fits perfectly in your room. Farmers markets and swap meets are always fun to walk around and take in a breath of fresh air. Even without spending any money, strolling around makes it an experience in and of itself.

About the Contributor
Miriam Santos
Miriam Santos, Staff Writer

Miriam first joined Gamut to explore journalism and experience the ‘behind-the-scenes’ of newspapers. She loves Mexican cuisine and is a fan of the music artist Slater. Her current go-to read is In the After by Demitria Lunetta; though, her favorite school required-reading was Lord of the Flies. She prefers colder weather over hot weather, preferring the mountains for vacation rather than beaches. Once Christmas comes around, she puts on “Feliz Navidad” to get into the spirits. Her favorite childhood book was the Dork Diaries series, and her favorite mythical animal is a dragon. If Miriam were to describe herself, she would say she is creative because she likes to draw. Miriam also loves taking care of her friends, and a lot of her fellow Gamut staff will agree she is very friendly and caring.