Celebrating our heroes during Teacher Appreciation Week

Eva Kim

Teacher’s Appreciation Week is swiftly approaching, spanning from May 6th to May 10th, providing an opportune moment to honor the unsung heroes of education for their tireless dedication and hard work in shaping our futures. Amid uncertain times, especially the Reductions in Force (RIF) occurring in the Anaheim Union High School District, it’s more important than ever to express our gratitude towards teachers. Here are a few creative and meaningful gestures of appreciation!

Personalized Gifts:

In a world saturated with mass-produced “World’s Best Teacher” mugs, personalized gifts offer a refreshing option, infused with genuine sentiments. Handcrafted items like paper bouquets, intricately knitted or crocheted pieces, and customized artwork carry a level of care and effort that speaks volumes. Teachers are unique individuals who know what they like best, so take the time to ask and understand their preferences; perhaps they have a love for gardening, an affinity for travel, or a particular penchant for the types of coffee they consume. Consider tailoring a goodie bag to their tastes, filled with their favorite snacks, candies, and gift cards for their preferred store or restaurant. Go the extra mile by selecting presents aligned with their hobbies and interests, such as a vinyl record from a beloved band, an unusual board game to enjoy with family, or a bestselling novel from a favorite author.

Personal Words & Thank-you Notes:

When chosen carefully, words can uplift people and communicate feelings we struggle to express in person. Take the time to pen sincere letters or craft poems expressing gratitude for a particular teacher, weaving in any memorable experiences or inspirational advice that has deeply impacted you. Highlight what you appreciate the most about them, such as their exceptional creativity, unwavering patience, or infectious humor. Above all, thank and acknowledge them for all of their selfless work. As a collective thank you, collaborate with classmates to create “gratitude graffiti” by adorning a large poster board with sticky notes bearing words of appreciation. For a multimedia approach, stitch together a video compilation of heartfelt messages from students, alumni, and faculty, whether anecdotes or compliments. Preserve cherished memories by making a collective digital or physical photo album or time capsule, documenting notable moments from the school year!

Support & Advocate for Them:

Teachers are often the loudest advocates for students; it’s time we reciprocate their steadfast support and stand in solidarity with educators to express thanks for their commitment and efforts. Joining community rallies, championing policies and initiatives conducive to teachers’ well-being, job security, wages, and professional development opportunities, is a meaningful way to demonstrate support. Additionally, amplify their voices by pressing major decision-makers and district board members to properly address teachers’ concerns and provide them the resources and bare minimum respect they deserve.

Whether you choose to show appreciation through personalized gifts, earnest notes, active advocacy, or even a humble “thank you,” every gesture of gratitude celebrates our teachers’ invaluable contributions and altruism. These simple actions have the power to uplift, support, and leave a meaningful impact on the same people who dedicate their lives to nurturing and educating us.

$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Oxford Academy. Your contribution will allow us to cover our website hosting for the 2024-2025 school year. Thank you for your support!

Jasmine Nguyen
Jasmine Nguyen, Staff Writer
Jasmine Nguyen is one of the many new names on the Gamut staff list this year. Coming in as a sophomore, Jasmine is looking forward to writing in the Op-Ed and News sections, and she is excited to create new bonds within the Gamut community. She can be described as a very mellow and relaxed individual, but she is always looking forward to new challenges. A few very interesting facts about Miss Nguyen are that she loves dogs, her favorite color is pastel pink, and her favorite comfort movie is Barbie and the Diamond Castle. For her, the movie also carries the nostalgic feeling of watching Sparkles and Lily, a pair of dancing puppies from the film preform their truly iconic number, along with an amazingly written plot. Although not super into pop culture, some of Jasmine's favorite artists consist of Joji, 88rising, and NIKI, and she would even describe herself as a “closeted Swiftie." Overall, Jasmine is excited to start her Gamut journey this year and is ready for what is ahead.
Eva Kim
Eva Kim, Staff Artist
Sophomore Eva Kim is just one of the many fresh faces on the Gamut staff this year, serving as an illustrator. Eva joined the Gamut in hopes of working with passionate, like-minded artists that share her love for drawing on both a recreational and professional level. Dating back to the fourth grade, Eva pinpoints the beginning of her art journey to working with watercolor before eventually branching out to digital art, of which she has amassed a brilliant portfolio. Her greatest inspiration are Instagram artists — explaining her dangerously high screen time on the app — but her muse is the mushroom for its cute, versatile appearance and “it tastes okay, too.” In her free time, Eva enjoys playing with her Jack Russell named Jadoo, named after a Korean children’s cartoon, as well as listening to playlists packed with Lyn Lapid and Dean.
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal