Boys tennis, girls softball, and boys and girls swim finish off the season

Photo collage by Audrey Lee

Oxford’s sports, boys tennis, girls softball, and boys and girls swim once again brought momentous victories to their seasons. With a firm record of 4-2, boys tennis presently hopes to rack up more wins in their following final league games. Softball has been overtaking the winning field, with a leading record of 19-5 and undefeated at home. Finally, the swim team has been on a winning streak with an overall record of 5-2.

Boys tennis did a phenomenal job this season despite the challenges they faced in their preseason games. With a strong winning record and future games to be won, boys tennis defended their courts.

“[In preseason], we only went against D1 and D2 schools. I guess it was better than playing against a D5 school, because at least we get to watch and learn and improve, but in terms of the team spirit, it was kind of rough,” said junior Joshua Jang, the boys varsity tennis captain.

Through the experience from their harrowing preseason games, boys tennis was able to resolutely play to the best of their ability against difficult opponents like Whitney and Cerritos in league. Through their wins, boys tennis will be going to this year’s CIFs. 

Girls softball also had an epic run during the spring season this year. Compared to their record last year of 11-11, softball improved a lot this year, maintaining their composure as they defeated challenging opponents like Pioneer and John Glenn. 

“We played especially well in the Pioneer game, with a record of 10-2,” said Monique Rojas, co-captain of the girls softball team. “In all the years I’ve been here, we have not beaten Pioneer so that was pretty special.”

Though there had been obstacles in their path during the season like transitioning to play against better teams in league, girls softball was able to overcome them by working on their defense and curating the mindset of playing up to their opponent’s level. By working hard in practice and persevering through their games, girls softball was able to make it to CIFs.

Finally, boys and girls swim made a splash with their season record of 5-2. They hope to secure one last win to their record in the upcoming final meet against Whitney. Despite being smaller in number compared to the bigger teams in the district, Oxford’s swim team held their own against challenging schools like Cypress and Cerritos. Through the team dynamics and the support within the team, boys and girls swim hope to make it to CIFs.

I’m the most proud of our dynamic as a team,” said junior Charlena Tran, co-captain of the girls swim team. “For each race, you can always count on your team to be at the end of the lane screaming in your face that gives you all the motivation you need to keep going.”

Boys tennis, girls softball, and girls and boys swim all worked hard and showed great athleticism throughout their season. Through challenges and obstacles, these three teams were able to overcome the hardships to secure wins for Oxford Academy. 

“Come out to our games and stay tuned for CIF!” Rojas said.

$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Oxford Academy. Your contribution will allow us to cover our website hosting for the 2024-2025 school year. Thank you for your support!

About the Contributor
Audrey Lee
Audrey Lee, Staff Writer
Audrey Lee is a freshman joining the Gamut as a staff writer. She joined Gamut with a love for literature, wanting to experience what it is like being a student journalist. She is also very excited about Gamut events like Secret Santa and the OCJEA competition. One of her favorite pastimes is reading, with Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand as one of her favorite books of all time. She is also passionate about volleyball and has even earned a spot on the Oxford Varsity volleyball team. Despite being one of the youngest members on the team, she feels like there is no barrier between her and her upperclassmen teammates; something that she loves about this team is that they are all very encouraging and they let her know that she can make an impact in the team regardless of her age. Besides practicing volleyball or reading, Audrey tends to be active in the OASIS club and hopes to join more clubs this school year.
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal