“Quiet on Set” unearths Nickelodeon’s disturbing past

Speaking+Out%3A+Drake+Bell%2C+Alexa+Nikolas%2C+Raquel+Lee+Bolleau%2C+and+Leon+Frierson+were+among+many+Nickelodeon+actors+who+shared+their+stories+on+%E2%80%9CQuiet+on+Set%3A+The+Dark+Side+of+Kids+TV.%E2%80%9D+
Justin Le
Speaking Out: Drake Bell, Alexa Nikolas, Raquel Lee Bolleau, and Leon Frierson were among many Nickelodeon actors who shared their stories on “Quiet on Set: The Dark Side of Kids TV.”

Nickelodeon made millions by filming shows that made up many people’s childhoods — at the cost of their own actors’ childhoods. The Max docuseries “Quiet on Set: The Dark Side of Kids TV” documents abuse behind the scenes, bringing justice for its victims and accountability to the entertainment conglomerate. 

The series begins detailing the infamous Nickelodeon producer Dan Schneider’s rise to fame, best known for hit shows “Victorious” and “iCarly.” Schneider, known for making inappropriate jokes involving child actors, was one of many executives who created and allowed these jokes to air, turning a blind eye to the inappropriate behavior. “Quiet on Set” unearths all the problems that have been buried by one of children’s television’s largest networks.

On set, the sexual abuse occurred from multiple predators who worked as executives. The mother of an extra, known as Brandi, on “Zoey 101” detailed how her daughter stayed in contact with production assistant Jason Michael Handy after filming. Handy, who has since been convicted, sent Brandi sexually explicit videos while she was underage. 

In episode three, actor Drake Bell from “Drake & Josh” spoke out for the first time about repeated sexual abuse from dialogue coach Brian Peck, who isolated him from his family as other executives were complacent. 

“[It was] the worst stuff that someone could do as sexual assault,” Bell said. 

Actress Alexa Nikolas from “Zoey 101” was also featured in the docuseries, yet later spoke out about feeling misrepresented. In an interview with IndieWire, she said she felt livid over a clip that mirrors sexual imagery and lacked context for its inclusion. Instead of maintaining her best interests, she believed the series exploited her story for shock value, instead of uplifting her voice.

This docuseries is not a true crime story nor juicy entertainment for people to relish — it should be a space to tell victims’ stories and hold higher ups accountable. Behind the scenes, actors were manipulated and even paid into staying quiet, with many afraid to tell their stories and relive this trauma amidst public pressure. Instead of glorifying and condoning the shows these actors were mistreated in, people must stop contributing to the shows’ ongoing successes. 

Writers, producers, and adults in Nickelodeon left children in harm’s way. By sacrificing the safety and wellbeing of these child actors, adults working in the network were bystanders to the misconduct by approving sexual innuendos featuring teenage actors, such as on “Victorious.” The procedures surrounding child actors and protecting them must change, starting with the intention of all adults on set. 

“Quiet on Set: The Dark Side of Kids TV” should be used as a moment for spotlighting victims’ stories and changing the practices in the entertainment industry for child actors, instead of embedding this previous, unethical work further in entertainment. Across the children’s entertainment sphere, from network television to family influencers, adults must step up to protect all of the children involved.

$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Oxford Academy. Your contribution will allow us to cover our website hosting for the 2024-2025 school year. Thank you for your support!

About the Contributor
Justin Le
Justin Le, Op-Ed Editor
Justin Le is a current sophomore, beginning his second year on the Gamut staff. His interest in joining the staff came from the popular 2000s television show, Gilmore Girls, one of his personal favorite series. Since one of the protagonists is a member of their respective student-run newspaper, it only made sense for him to follow suit. Additionally, some of Justin's hobbies include binging TV shows, reading from time to time, and joining sports for about a 24-hour period before promptly quitting them. Although Justin may not be very dedicated to his life as a student athlete, he is certainly dedicated to The Gamut, so much so that he sacrificed his year-long pencil pouch for the sake of keeping a stack of GamSlam brochures from blowing away. Justin’s former Word Hunt addiction might also be pretty compelling, considering he has a total of 1858 wins, more than should be humanly possible. In addition, Justin stays involved here at Oxford, as he is SCC’s Activities Commissioner, as well as an active member of VSA, International Club, and ECO. So when he's not writing moving articles about Taylor Swift, he's got a plethora of other activities to choose from.
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal