BeReal Needs to Take Its Own Advice

Rowan Lee

Advertised as the anti-social network, the popular app BeReal sends a notification randomly every day, prompting spontaneous posts and users to “BeReal” by taking a photo in the two following minutes. Although created as a platform of authenticity, users delaying BeReals and carefully curating them have overshadowed its original intent, contributing to the cultural phenomenon of inauthenticity on the internet. 

With users focused on perfection, the app’s purpose is becoming more similar to other social media. Without repercussions for posting late, BeReal’s feed is no different than curated platforms like Instagram or Facebook. As long as the next day’s BeReal hasn’t gone off, a BeReal can be over 24 hours late, making them easily faked through delays until something memorable happens. The algorithm does nothing to prevent late BeReals from garnering attention, besides a miniscule “Late by…” and retake information at the top. Instead of alleviating social media’s pressures, BeReal is creating them. 

Furthermore, BeReal’s mainstream success contributes to its artificiality. With over 21 million users and contact syncing, it’s effortless to add acquaintances  instead of close friends. With a wider audience, sending BeReals can feel superficial like Snapchat, where users send photos to a large audience just to keep streaks going. and BeReal is turning into a social media giant, instead of the anti-social network of authenticity it is widely advertised as.

Social media platforms copying each other often disconnect concepts from their original apps. TikTok recently launched the “Now,” feature, taking the exact concept as BeReal. This bandwagon jump reveals how internet authenticity is being reduced to a trend from BeReal’s popularity. The target demographic is merely seeking authenticity’s aesthetic, which is why TikTok copied it to capitalize on it and subsequently spread the trend. As BeReal continues to be treated like a typical social media, it loses the individuality that made it unique in the first place.

Users have also overshadowed BeReal’s original intent. Although the application has measures in place to show how real a BeReal is, it’s only reliable for a day. When sharing past BeReals, any indication of tardiness is erased, enabling people to make their lives look more exciting than they are, rendering measures useless. 

Arguably BeReal has done more to perpetuate the culture of perfection than Instagram, due to its implication of authenticity. Self consciousness and fear of social ostracization ruin the point of internet authenticity, as unrealistic standards oversaturate feeds, contributing to the damaging effects of social media, soliciting unhealthy comparisons while implying realness.

It’s truly troubling that an anti-social-network is becoming an average social media platform. Ultimately, this stems from society’s relationship with social media. To create healthier relationships with social media, people need to stop making it a top priority and obsessing over posts and interactions on it. With feeds filled with perfection, authenticity online seems impossible to cultivate widespreadly. Even with the app’s name of “BeReal,” its misusage contributes to the disconnect between people from how diluted its concept has become.

Justin Le
Justin Le, Staff Writer
Justin Le is a current sophomore, beginning his second year on the Gamut staff. His interest in joining the staff came from the popular 2000s television show, Gilmore Girls, one of his personal favorite series. Since one of the protagonists is a member of their respective student-run newspaper, it only made sense for him to follow suit. Additionally, some of Justin's hobbies include binging TV shows, reading from time to time, and joining sports for about a 24-hour period before promptly quitting them. Although Justin may not be very dedicated to his life as a student athlete, he is certainly dedicated to The Gamut, so much so that he sacrificed his year-long pencil pouch for the sake of keeping a stack of GamSlam brochures from blowing away. Justin’s former Word Hunt addiction might also be pretty compelling, considering he has a total of 1858 wins, more than should be humanly possible. In addition, Justin stays involved here at Oxford, as he is SCC’s Activities Commissioner, as well as an active member of VSA, International Club, and ECO. So when he's not writing moving articles about Taylor Swift, he's got a plethora of other activities to choose from.
Rowan Lee
Rowan Lee, Art/Layout Editor
Aside from finally graduating, Rowan Lee is looking most forward to serving as The Gamut’s Art and Layout Editor for their final year of high school. Their go-to hobbies are drawing and painting: an explanation as to why they immediately applied to join The Gamut staff after learning there were drawing positions available, along with their having illustrated for The Gamut for the past 3 years. Outside of the Gamut, Rowan takes their fascination with Japanese culture to the OA Japanese Club, where they serve as Tech Chair. When they’re not busy taking on their various roles at school, drawing fanart for Jujutsu Kaisen (their favorite anime of all time), or jamming out to their 3-hour long SE SO NEON playlist, Rowan guiltily admits that they spend their free time playing Valorant or watching VTubers (virtual YouTubers). Rowan honestly confesses that their Senioritis has been kicking in since Junior year, but as the diligent worker they are, they vow to push through till the very night they toss their cap into the air at Handel Stadium.

BeReal Needs to Take Its Own Advice