Smashing Success: “Bleach” Returns

Agnes Lee

After a 10-year hiatus, Tite Kubo’s “Bleach” returned on Oct. 11 to the spotlight with the animation of the manga’s final arc, “The Thousand-Year Blood War.” The new season is animated by Pierrot, the same studio behind notable works like “Black Clover” and “Tokyo Ghoul.” 

In the early 2000s, “Bleach,” along with “Naruto” and “One Piece,” was dubbed one of the Big Three animes due to their explosive popularity. Known for its comparatively mature themes at the time, “Bleach” takes place in a world where samurai-inspired Soul Reapers quash demonic spirits, called Hollows, that terrorize humans. The anime centers around high school student and Soul Reaper Ichigo Kurosaki on his journey to protect the three realms: Earth, Hueco Mundo, where the Hollows reside, and the Soul Society, where the Soul Reapers reside. However, the anime abruptly ended in 2014 because of insufficient source material, leaving fans disappointed. The animation revival of the show’s final arc offers refreshing plotlines and enthralling visuals to end the long-awaited series. 

“The Thousand-Year Blood War” finally addresses the unanswered question of the Quincies, a group of German Archers that were supposedly wiped out by the Soul Reapers a thousand years ago for disrupting the balance between the three realms. The new season reintroduces them as a vengeful antagonist, posing a formidable challenge for Soul Reapers with their unique ability to take away their “bankai,” a unique power-up that enhances their fighting abilities. Unable to rely on their ace-in-the-hole, Soul Reapers are at the mercy of the Quincies’ unforeseen power.

The first few episodes masterfully set up the severity of the new antagonist in a sinister introduction scene, when the Quincy King Yhwach mercilessly dismembers and executes his underling for slight insubordination. With his iconic burgundy cape and imposing figure, he makes for a fearsome final villain to be pitted against the heroic soul reapers.

Thanks to Pierrot, the fight choreography pops out more than anything with its fluidity and strikingly colorful effects. The first glance at the studio’s capabilities is with Ichigo’s bout with Ebern, the first Quincy villain to make an appearance. The fight raises the bar for anime battle scenes with its breathtakingly detailed energy waves and ominous sound design that lends itself to the tense atmosphere. 

With the superb animation by Pierrot and an interesting storyline, this season will appease eagerly waiting fans and wrap up one of the most popular animes of all time. New episodes can be watched on either Hulu or Disney+. 

About the Contributors
Eshmom Haque
Eshmom Haque, Sports Editor
Outspoken writer and Gamut sports editor Eshmom Hacque is ready for his final year on the Gamut’s staff! As an experienced member of track, he is all about fitness, physical activity, and health. Inspiring stories of human physicality, achievement, and leadership are what Eshmom wants to share with the world. He is also involved in political and ethical discussions, unabashedly bestowing his hot takes on current events and critical issues in local and international government. When away from the intensity of athletics and debate, he enjoys listening to his favorite genres of music, K-Pop, R’n’B, and rap, or watching shows like Arrested Development, Suits, and Business Proposal. He is always up for new experiences– especially hair ones, since he’s gone through a perm, side part, middle part, and mullet within his time at the Gamut. Though he was halted by a sports injury for some time, Eshmom is back and ready for action, both on the field and as a sports editor this year!
Agnes Lee
Agnes Lee, Art/Layout Editor

Agnes Lee serves the Gamut this year as Layout editor. Having started drawing from an early elementary age, she gained an interest for art. However, having felt that she might lose her passion to the academics of Oxford Academy, Agnes decided to join the Gamut. She enjoys the traditional pen-and-ink illustration style of the Gamut’s Op-Ed articles as well as illustrating for the centerfold. Outside of art, she enjoys listening to user-made playlists that feature mellow tunes. She enjoys romance and animation shows, as well as marvel movies, and she claims to have never watched Gilmore Girls, much against the protest of her friend Laura. She involves herself on school campus as part of the board this year for the Gender Equality club. After-school, she heads to her art studio, where she spends an average of 3 hours there working on her portfolio, which she has been dedicated to since August. Sometimes you might also find her riding her RipStik or staying up late doing homework. She aspires to be a graphic designer in the future, and hopes that her portfolio can get her into colleges like USC and Carnegie-Mellon. As a senior who’s about to take the step into the next chapter of her life, Agnes hopes that her passion for art will stay with her through life.

Activate Search
Smashing Success: “Bleach” Returns