That’s She-wbiz! Women Take the Summer Spotlight

Danny Banuelos Chavez

In a blur of pink and sparkles, women undoubtedly dominated pop culture this past summer. Millions attended global showings of female-directed blockbuster “Barbie” and filled stadiums for Taylor Swift’s billions-grossing “The Eras Tour,” followed by Beyoncé’s sensational “RENAISSANCE World Tour.”

From film to music, audiences were hooked by women-led media the entire summer — but it hadn’t always been this way. Even just a few decades ago, entertainment was completely dominated by men.

With the emergence of female artists in the 20th century, many were treated poorly in comparison to their male counterparts and discredited for their creative contributions. Today, however, women have established an environment in which they boldly raise their voices upon these injustices– the most prominent example being Taylor Swift’s “Taylor’s Version” re-recordings of her first six studio albums after being denied ownership of them. 

Through such “power moves,” women have broken through mistreatment and criticism over the decades to significantly boost their presence in entertainment. As women take on more executive roles in the media, entertainment is shifting from the weak and ditzy female trope to an era of their power and influence– the economy further demonstrates this. Female music icons Taylor Swift and Beyoncé have been on the road for their respective concert tours all summer, both of which are amongst the highest grossing of all time. Renowned director Greta Gerwig’s box office hit “Barbie,” a glittery yet profound critique of the patriarchy and the nuances of femininity, earned $1 billion worldwide within its first 17 days of release.

However, even as the entertainment industry gradually turns its spotlight towards women, it’s undeniable that it is still male-dominated: Female artists represent only 30% of the Billboard Hot 100 year-end chart, men still outnumber women by a 4:1 ratio in the film industry, and only three women have ever won directing Oscars.

Women’s achievements this summer not only fight these patriarchal statistics, but the patriarchy’s standard of art as well. The dominance women have held in recent years serve not only as a symbol of progress, but as a sparkle of hope for the future of female entertainers.

Celine Park
Celine Park, Staff Writer
Celine is a freshman staff writer and is eager to learn more about the world through participating in the Gamut. Encouraged by the Mrs. Galvan to join the paper, it’s no secret Celine is a terrific writer, and she even plans to pursue journalism to some capacity in the future. Furthermore, she is a diehard fan of Taylor Swift and has been ever since 3rd grade. And, of course, Celine went to the Eras tour, thoroughly enjoying it to the point she started sobbing. Although Celine has a great taste in music, she also has pretty controversial and (objectively, if you will) bad takes, despising both pickles and dark chocolate. As for her bucket list, she hopes to befriend everyone in her grade (Class of ‘27 is not ready for her.) and, of course, take a photo with Taylor Swift.
Danny Banuelos Chavez
Danny Banuelos Chavez, Staff Artist
Danny Banuelos Chavez, a current sophomore at Oxford Academy, is entering their first year at the Gamut as a photographer and illustrator. As a person who has always been keenly observant of others, they took an interest in photography and taking action shots of others. Chavez is an obsessive enjoyer of “Garfield” and is easily able to recant their days of scribbling the lasagna-loving cat in their notebook. They describe themself as wacky because they love to change things up all the time, such as their room and wallpaper. Chavez also indulges in thought-provoking and most esteemed comedies such as “Parks and Recreation” and “Arrested Development”. They partake in all forms of music ranging from metal to country, some of their favorite bands being Mitski, Hozier, and the Cure. Aside from their cultured interests, they consider their culinary taste to be a “bit basic”, since their favorite foods are avocado toast and wings. Chavez looks forward to putting their photography skills to work this upcoming year.