Witch movie for your eerie Halloween?

Narrow down your spooky season watch list with these classics!
Vanessa Marin-Ixlan

As the spooky season creeps its way into the year, sit down and watch some iconic classic Halloween movies with your friends. Each film serves up the horror, comedy, and mountain of candy that makes up all things Halloween. Grab a bucket of your favorite treats, settle into your coziest blankets, and get ready for a night of fright!

Ghostbusters (1984)

Starting at number one on the list is the comedical “Ghostbusters.” Known as having the greatest ensemble cast of all time, the film’s humor leaves the audience with belly-tickling laughs even as the cute (yet horrifying) ghosts send everyone scurrying for safety. Everyone will be entertained watching the scientists-turned-Ghosbusters try to stop the ghouls from taking over New York City and causing mass destruction! 

Edward Scissorhands (1990)

Although made to have scissors in place of hands, Edward Scissorhands falls in love with a girl–all while facing prejudice and fear from the surrounding society. Though rated as PG-13 because of its mild, sporadic violence, the viewers can’t help but fall in love with the shy and artistic protagonist as he navigates the world. 

Hocus Pocus (1993)

Perfect for a family friendly movie night, Disney’s“Hocus Pocus” serves as a spooky fan favorite. The film follows three resurrected Salem witches through their journey during present day Halloween. Though it wasn’t an instant box office hit, “Hocus Pocus” has gone on to be one of the most popular childrens’ movies. The plot contains elements of pure humor and fantasy that would leave anyone on the edge of their seats. 

Casper (1995)

A movie swirling with nostalgia and sweet, innocent love between a ghost and a girl, “Casper” should sit high up on your Halloween watch list. The little ghost was Paramount’s most popular character only after Popeye, and for good reason: his hilarious interactions between him and his uncles, The Ghostly Trio, remain as sweet and comedic memories for the audience. Casper’s mishaps followed by a scolding by his uncles is something anyone can relate to.

The Corpse Bride (2005)

One of Tim Burton’s most popular animated classics, “The Corpse Bride” follows Victor, who strives to return to his fiancee after being whisked away into the land of the dead. Gather around with your closest friends and prepare for a movie of undying love, eerie animation, and the creepy music scores that give honor to Burton’s works. 

Each of these classics will play right into the hearts of the viewers. Whether you’re going for something more spooky or one with loads of laughter, these movie options will surely help narrow down your Halloween watch list.

Audrey Lee
Audrey Lee, Staff Writer
Audrey Lee is a freshman joining the Gamut as a staff writer. She joined Gamut with a love for literature, wanting to experience what it is like being a student journalist. She is also very excited about Gamut events like Secret Santa and the OCJEA competition. One of her favorite pastimes is reading, with Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand as one of her favorite books of all time. She is also passionate about volleyball and has even earned a spot on the Oxford Varsity volleyball team. Despite being one of the youngest members on the team, she feels like there is no barrier between her and her upperclassmen teammates; something that she loves about this team is that they are all very encouraging and they let her know that she can make an impact in the team regardless of her age. Besides practicing volleyball or reading, Audrey tends to be active in the OASIS club and hopes to join more clubs this school year.
Vanessa Marin-Ixlan
Vanessa Marin-Ixlan, Staff Artist
A new part of Gamut’s staff this year, Vanessa Marin-Ixlan is currently a junior that is excited to take on her role as an illustrator. Vanessa joined the school’s newspaper to experience a more professional work environment and work with other talented illustrators. She has loved drawing ever since she was a kid, starting off with sketches of magical dragons and later making her way into comics. Full of creativity and expression, Vanessa’s dream is to become a comic artist and create her own comic books in the future, so she is truly ecstatic to see her illustrations being printed on paper. Along with drawing, Vanessa enjoys theology, poetry, biology, and animals. She can often be found going on walks or lounging and reading scientific papers. Excited for the year ahead of her, Vanessa is looking forward to getting to know her fellow staff members and meeting people that have similar interests to her.