Exploring autumnal flavors through pies

Vanessa Marin-Ixlan

The weather cools down and tree leaves turn into vibrant colors of red, orange, and yellow: fall is in the air. What better way to spend fall, than eating deliciously baked fall pies! From the most extravagant toppings to the thick fillings, there is a wide variety of pies that people enjoy. Here is a list of classic pies that are a perfect try on these cozy autumn days. 

Pumpkin Pie

A true fall classic that brings a taste of nostalgia, pumpkin pies have always been a fan favorite. Dating back to the early 18th century in New England, pumpkin pie has earned its role at the dinner table during Thanksgiving ever since. Representing the perfect combination of the earthy taste and the velvety texture, the sweetness and spiciness of the pumpkin filling bring everyone back to their childhoods.

Cherry Pie

With a buttery crust soaked with the syrup of luscious red cherries, cherry pies are sweet adventures that people enjoy experiencing. The spike in popularity of this pie was believed to have started when the first cherry pie recipe was served to Queen Elizabeth I in the late 16th century. The sweet and sour taste of the cherries that have hints of tartness creates a delightful symphony of flavors that dance around your taste buds. Glimpses of glistening bright red ruby-like cherries peeking out of the cross-hatch pattern of the crust create a stunning visual presentation that adds to the already delightful taste of the pie. With its sweet flavor and artistic appearance, cherry pie is definitely worth trying. 

Apple Crisp Pie

Taking a big “crunch” into the cinnamon apple-like pie, this pastry is a unique yet loveable dessert. It is believed that this pastry stemmed from the British traditional apple crumble in the early 20th century and was later mentioned in British cookbooks as a popular dessert. The lovely brown crumble and crunchy granola toppings neutralize the sweetness of the thinly sliced apples, making it a delectable dessert for everyone. To those who enjoy explosions of sour apples, cinnamon, and a crunching sensation, this pie is just for you!

Chicken Pot Pie

Chicken pot pie is a popular choice for those seeking a comforting, savory meal during the colder months. Originating from Greece, chicken pot pie was initially made from an open pastry shell and was called an Artocreas. The creamy base provides a warming sensation that is both hearty and satisfying. The crust is often flaky and buttery, providing a nice contrast to the mushy vegetable soup filling. While some may experience a jumpscare of bitterness from the occasional carrots and celery, the overall taste is rich and flavorful. Its soupy consistency and creamy texture make it a perfect meal to cozy up with on a chilly autumn day.

Fall pies are treats that bring you warmth and comfort during the chilly autumn days. Whether you prefer sweet, savory, comforting, and so many more, there is a fall pie for everyone to indulge in.

Millie Kwon
Millie Kwon, Staff Writer
Personally recruited, some may say, by Dr. Hind herself at Lexington Junior High School before her transfer to Oxford Academy in 8th grade, Millie Kwon is a new writer for the Gamut. As a freshman, Millie is looking forward to collaborating with people as she has heard that the Gamut is a really fun experience! (She would not be wrong; ask any of our staff) She believes her defining trait to be merely “clumsy,” and claims she is not particularly athletic, despite her participating in tennis, dance and Taekwondo. She admits that others may think she is hard and mean and closed off at the beginning before getting to know her. However, Millie assures us all that once you talk to her, she will become your bestie within two days! (What a claim!) She enjoys chilling and watching TV in her free time. Some of her favorites include her childhood TV show Poroyo and Legally Blonde, and she enjoys listening to RnB and calm music. 
Vanessa Marin-Ixlan
Vanessa Marin-Ixlan, Staff Artist
A new part of Gamut’s staff this year, Vanessa Marin-Ixlan is currently a junior that is excited to take on her role as an illustrator. Vanessa joined the school’s newspaper to experience a more professional work environment and work with other talented illustrators. She has loved drawing ever since she was a kid, starting off with sketches of magical dragons and later making her way into comics. Full of creativity and expression, Vanessa’s dream is to become a comic artist and create her own comic books in the future, so she is truly ecstatic to see her illustrations being printed on paper. Along with drawing, Vanessa enjoys theology, poetry, biology, and animals. She can often be found going on walks or lounging and reading scientific papers. Excited for the year ahead of her, Vanessa is looking forward to getting to know her fellow staff members and meeting people that have similar interests to her.