It is time to value environmental preservation

Vanessa Marin-Ixlan

Environmental conservation has lost its meaning. Despite backlash from thousands of residents, Irvine Company plans to implement a major urban development project this year, stripping away 400 acres of wildlife corridor from two of the busiest Orange County regional parks. The approved policy will replace the nature strip with 1180 homes, forming a new community called Orange Heights. Although seemingly benign, the plan exemplifies a frequent trend of corporations destroying the environment to make room for monetary profit. 

Proposed in 2005, the plan originally included the construction of 4100 homes stretching from East Orange to Irvine Park. Nearly a decade later, the project scaled down to the 1180-single home property between Irvine Regional Park and Peters Canyon Regional Park. According to the company, the land had been classified by environmentalists as “the ideal place for a new community.” However, the stark environmental consequences, as well as public health concerns, suggest otherwise. 

Urbanization is simply not suitable for a wildlife habitat. Creating houses in this area would contribute to existing pollutant levels in the foothill communities and further deteriorate the habitats of vulnerable species, which are already burdened by decreased air and water quality. 

Furthermore, Irvine Company overlooks burdens placed on the prospective residential communities in Orange Heights. Without any alternatives, wild animals have nowhere to go but into neighborhoods and drainage tunnels that lead into urban spaces. Additionally, the land’s extensive history of frequent wildfires makes new buildings highly susceptible to recurrent damages. Adding amenities to the rural area, such as grocery stores or complete fire stations, would break the budget for the developer and have to be financially covered by the county, increasing property taxes in the surrounding area. 

Supporters of the plan argue that urban development is an inevitable part of “county progression.” The plan, however, fails to progress the county’s needs — rather, it promotes the degradation of cultural significance. Both regional parks are home to six archaeological sites preserving nature history. Considering 90% of sites have already been replaced by urban development in Orange County, reported by California Cultural Resources Preservation Alliance Inc, preservation of land is an urgent cause. This idea has been reinforced through the voices of Orange residents, who campaign for a proper assessment from the council and a halt to the project’s implementation. Supporters can sign the NO Orange Heights petition by Joel Robinson on change.org, which will be presented to the Orange City Council. 

Careless urban development enacted by big corporations amass serious consequences on the environment, wildlife, and people. When negligent decision-making is overlooked by the community, resident voices become further drowned by corporations’ exploitative intentions. It is crucial for Orange County residents to stand together against the environmental destruction.

About the Contributors
Rachel Yoon
Rachel Yoon, Opinion Editor
Joining during the quarantine year after encouragement from her English teacher, Rachel Yoon, a junior at Oxford Academy, is currently in her third year as a Gamut staff member. Skilled in both the arts and writing, she has both written and illustrated for the Gamut before. Rachel likes to paint and draw as a hobby but finds that writing is an easier way to put down her thoughts. She also has an interest in math, recently starting a math blog in hopes of helping others in the subject. With a strained relationship with the app TikTok—deleting it and redownloading it multiple times due to concerning screentime—she watches many cooking videos. As such, Rachel is an avid cook who cooks for herself and her family, following internet-famous cooks like Doobydobap and Cafehailee for inspiration. Despite this, Rachel is a baking hater, finding it a stressful medium compared to cooking’s forgiveness; cooking is a way to keep her focused and productive. Multi-talented and well-rounded, Rachel is serving as this year’s opinion editor!
Vanessa Marin-Ixlan
Vanessa Marin-Ixlan, Staff Artist
A new part of Gamut’s staff this year, Vanessa Marin-Ixlan is currently a junior that is excited to take on her role as an illustrator. Vanessa joined the school’s newspaper to experience a more professional work environment and work with other talented illustrators. She has loved drawing ever since she was a kid, starting off with sketches of magical dragons and later making her way into comics. Full of creativity and expression, Vanessa’s dream is to become a comic artist and create her own comic books in the future, so she is truly ecstatic to see her illustrations being printed on paper. Along with drawing, Vanessa enjoys theology, poetry, biology, and animals. She can often be found going on walks or lounging and reading scientific papers. Excited for the year ahead of her, Vanessa is looking forward to getting to know her fellow staff members and meeting people that have similar interests to her.