Percy Jackson and the Olympians: Half-Blood or Half-Baked?

Sydnee Cho

Stepping into realms where Greek gods clash and ancient prophecies unfold, Disney+’s highly anticipated adaptation of “Percy Jackson and the Olympians,” follows demigod Percy Jackson on his quest to recover Zeus’ thunderbolt and most importantly, save his mother. With the previous adaptation of Rick Riordan’s tween phenomenon series universally hated by readers, critics, and Riordan himself, Disney+ was tasked with a seemingly easy job: make this adaptation better than the last. However, even with Riordan’s input, the live-action show checked all the boxes but lost the youthful charm and chaos essential to the books.

The show’s first season consisting of eight episodes, adapted the book’s pilot novel, “The Lightning Thief.” Suddenly thrust into the world of Greek gods, monsters, and magic, troubled preteen Percy (Walker Scobell) accompanied by best friends Annabeth Chase (Leah Jeffries) and Grover Underwood (Aryan Simhadri) embark on a quest that could wreak havoc on the world they know.

Considering the original book series provided younger readers with their first foray into Greek mythology, the show’s pacing worked counterintuitively. To new fans unfamiliar with Greek gods, the premise is overwhelming. The first three episodes lacked momentum as the combination of fight scenes, emotional outbursts, and exposition blurred into each other and confused viewers.  Cramming 22 chapters into eight 45-minute episodes, the series glossed over pivotal scenes and ineffectively explained the mythology and background needed for quests. 

Percy, Grover, and Annabeth are one step ahead as they predict the conflicts to come, losing the charming awkwardness of discovery. At the age of 12, they are confident and swift in their conquests, no longer seeming like kids who are learning to navigate a dangerous world but rather experienced fighters. As a result, the tense action scenes that populated the books were sparse in the show, and the characters often ended up catching the viewers up to speed with dialogue — a classic case of telling rather than showing. 

Seen in scenes with the sinister Procrustes and cunning Medusa, the characters solved daunting, puzzling tasks in a matter of minutes, abandoning the high-stakes, suspenseful nature of the series. Especially seen in Episode 6, where the heroes enter the Lotus Casino, a place where time runs faster due to the magical lotus flowers pumped into the air. In the books, the trio falls into the trap and lose themselves in the discothèque atmosphere, only to realize their mistake when they accidentally encounter a kid from another decade. However, in the show, the logic behind the Lotus Casino isn’t explained at all and the god, Hermes blatantly reveals the secret, which is a cop-out for bad writing. 

While “Percy Jackson and the Olympians,” aims to immerse longtime fans and new viewers in enchanting reimaginations of Camp Half-Blood, it falls short due to its excessive reliance on dialogue-heavy storytelling. Now confirmed for season two, fans can hope for an adaptation that not only stays true to the books but brings it to life.

Nandita Bussa
Nandita Bussa, Staff Writer
Passionate about writing and journalism, Nandita grew up reading a variety of books that inspired her to have the dream to someday publish her own. As a sophomore staff writer this year, journalism is a way to express herself and develop unique writing styles. She holds a special personality of being extroverted and a little nerdy. Her friends describe her as a friend who is non-judgemental, trustworthy, and a shoulder to lean on. In her free time, she loves to play volleyball, watch '90s Rom-coms and K-dramas, and listen to fun boy band music, such as One Direction, BTS, and Queen. She also enjoys watching all kinds of movies, such as Titanic, Mean Girls, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, 10 Things I Hate About You, The Breakfast Club, and Disney Movies like Hercules and Anastasia, while being interested in a variety of Greek Mythology. Adding on, she also likes historical musicals such as Hamilton, Newsies, and Six, and she has a fierce taste for food, loving spicy Indian food and Indochinese food.
Sydnee Cho
Sydnee Cho, Staff Artist
Sydnee Cho, a junior on the Gamut, is serving her third year as an illustrator and writer. Despite her intimidating nature (so she thinks), she adores the color pink (hence her phone case), Monster High, The Devil Wears Prada, and talking to others. Sydnee claims that she is a fashionable person, which is obvious with her mindblowing total of 11 piercings and shining silver jewelry. Alongside, she has a dangerous addiction to making money and spending it on online shopping, working as a waiter in LA county. Not so surprisingly, her favorite thing in the world is money. She usually spends her time listening to 80s and 90s music, as well as Lana Del Rey, or playing Royal Match (she is currently on level 3945!). To the freshmen who are nervous about their new adventures in high school, Sydnee gives the advice, “Calm down and chill, life ain’t that deep.”