Coming-of-age activities to live your teenage dream

Danny Banuelos Chavez

Summer is the perfect time to fill your youth with sentimental and heartwarming memories by living through aesthetic summer scenes from coming-of-age movies. Whether you want to have fun with friends or discover yourself, add these picturesque activities to your summer bucket list to romanticize life.

Swim in a lake

If the sweltering sun is ruining your vibe, take a dip in a cool, refreshing lake. Forests and nature simply wash away worries, so step outside and let your inner self reconnect with the wilderness. California boasts beautiful clear lakes like Lake Tahoe, Donner Lake, or Big Bear Lake: try taking a mini road trip with friends and having a splashfest, or traveling alone and sunbathing like you’re the main character. 

Have a retro day

Jump straight out of a 2000s teen movie with a day filled with neon lights, arcades, and rollerskating. If you are on a budget or simply want to stay home, invite some friends over and wholeheartedly embrace the Y2K trend by scrapbooking, taking Polaroids, and playing board games. Blast 80’s rock on full volume and have timeless adventures!

Witness magic at night

From late night drives with the windows rolled down to wacky photoshoots, adventures past sunset are inherently aesthetic. Take it to the next level by witnessing spectacular sights like the floating lanterns at the Water Lantern Festival in June, glimmering bioluminescence on San Diego beaches, or dazzling fireworks at Disneyland. For a simple yet magical ambiance, stargaze into the otherworldly canopy of constellations or venture through city lights beneath a colorful, dream-like haze.

Start a summer vlog

Vlogs are not only exciting to watch but also addictingly entertaining to record! Capture candid moments as you explore your summer side quests — picture fields of vibrant flowers, coquette picnics at the park, late-night bonfires at the beach, and the laughter of friends on impulsive excursions. Romantic, comedic, or chaotic, choose the genre of your life and record memories that normal pictures can’t quite replicate. For the complete 2000s experience, purchase a used camcorder from eBay or a local thrift store to replicate that grainy and nostalgic look.

Have a slumber party

Nothing screams teen movies more than chaotic sleepovers! Painting together as cookies bake, face masks and gossip while painting nails, building a tent to camp in the backyard, or wild pillow fights paired with karaoke; the vibe for the night is flexible for any friend group. Use this opportunity to bring out the best and worst of your friends as you spend the night unsupervised. 

Life may not be a movie but it’s clear that you are your own main character. Rather than committing to static months of rotting away or cramming in three different internships, fill the pages of your story with these coming-of-age moments and make summer feel like a dream.

$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Oxford Academy. Your contribution will allow us to cover our website hosting for the 2024-2025 school year. Thank you for your support!

About the Contributors
Michelle Choy
Michelle Choy, News Editor

Michelle Choy is serving her final year with Gamut as a News Editor and, despite being in her Senior year, still plans to work just as hard researching and communicating the facts. Some of her many hobbies include bike riding, roller skating, dancing, reading manga, and playing video games like Overwatch 2. She considers herself a foodie and likes eating a lot, but overall eats healthy. She also enjoys traveling and seeing the world, but her all-time favorite travel destination is Hawaii. Michelle considers herself similar to a panda because of her passion for food and comforting nature which helped her reach the position of Vice President in the Big Brothers Big Sisters club. When it comes to reading, her favorite book series has been "The Hunger Games". A fun fact about her is that she has helped foster over fifteen cats in her lifetime. Beyond Gamut, Michelle intends to pursue a career in either economics or business administration.

Danny Banuelos Chavez
Danny Banuelos Chavez, Staff Artist
Danny Banuelos Chavez, a current sophomore at Oxford Academy, is entering their first year at the Gamut as a photographer and illustrator. As a person who has always been keenly observant of others, they took an interest in photography and taking action shots of others. Chavez is an obsessive enjoyer of “Garfield” and is easily able to recant their days of scribbling the lasagna-loving cat in their notebook. They describe themself as wacky because they love to change things up all the time, such as their room and wallpaper. Chavez also indulges in thought-provoking and most esteemed comedies such as “Parks and Recreation” and “Arrested Development”. They partake in all forms of music ranging from metal to country, some of their favorite bands being Mitski, Hozier, and the Cure. Aside from their cultured interests, they consider their culinary taste to be a “bit basic”, since their favorite foods are avocado toast and wings. Chavez looks forward to putting their photography skills to work this upcoming year.
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal