ASTA holds RIF rally during Oxford’s open house

In response to the Anaheim Union High School District (AUHSD)’s recent mass Reduction in Force (RIF) notices that placed 253 teachers at risk of being laid off, the Anaheim Secondary Teachers Association (ASTA), or teacher’s union, organized a rally at Oxford Academy before their Open House celebrations on April 24th to show their support.

With Oxford Academy’s open house being the latest of the AUHSD schools, Lisa Eck, a union representative, wanted to show support across sites. Once word spread of the rally through social media, parents, students, and teachers across the district came clad in red attire in support of #RedforEd and hoisted posters, chanting for change.

“We [the union] had talked about rolling rallies and wearing red at certain events and we chose Oxford’s open house because of the traffic it brings in [from] the public and it’ll be visible to more people,” Eck said.

Due to the rally’s location being on the sidewalk facing Orange Avenue, the protester’s loud cheers, and chants were heard by parents driving into the school and passersby who either joined in or honked their cars in lieu of support.

“The most important thing that happens at school is what happens in the classroom. If you cut teachers, you cut what’s happening in the classrooms and all of the programs we have are wonderful, but not at the expense of our teachers and our student’s education,” Oxford Academy instrumental music teacher Deanna Miner said. “The money has to come from somewhere, but we’re saying that it shouldn’t only come from the teachers.”

With the number of teachers at risk of being laid off, concern among parents and students has grown about how class sizes may increase and how it will impact future teaching styles and student growth.

“I have 39 students in a class and 22 students in the yearbook, and the difference in classroom culture is night and day,” said Lexington Junior High School art teacher and yearbook advisor Ms. Abigale Grosveld. “I’m able to get to know all of my students [in Yearbook] whereas, with my 39 students, I go home thinking about the 2-3 students in my class who I may not have gotten to.”

With confusion surrounding the statuses of the RIFs,  AUHSD teachers at risk have gone to RIF hearings at Katella High School’s Royal Crown Theater where the district council explained the criteria and rationale behind the mass layoff notices along with acknowledging that mistakes have occurred within their list and will be adjusted in front of the judge. However, due to the complexity of the issue and the number of teachers making pleas, Judge Eric C. Sawyer extended the hearing by an additional five days.

“I think they’re starting to be aware that we are united but I don’t think that they’ve [the board] made changes. I think they will see their decision through and 200 teachers who are in hearings right now and the judge has informed them that there will be 5 additional dates added to those hearings. We understand that when money is hard to find layoffs will happen but it needs to be equitable. We want to save more jobs,” said Eck.

$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Oxford Academy. Your contribution will allow us to cover our website hosting for the 2024-2025 school year. Thank you for your support!

Nandita Bussa
Nandita Bussa, News Editor
Passionate about writing and journalism, Nandita grew up reading a variety of books that inspired her to have the dream to someday publish her own. As a sophomore staff writer this year, journalism is a way to express herself and develop unique writing styles. She holds a special personality of being extroverted and a little nerdy. Her friends describe her as a friend who is non-judgemental, trustworthy, and a shoulder to lean on. In her free time, she loves to play volleyball, watch '90s Rom-coms and K-dramas, and listen to fun boy band music, such as One Direction, BTS, and Queen. She also enjoys watching all kinds of movies, such as Titanic, Mean Girls, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, 10 Things I Hate About You, The Breakfast Club, and Disney Movies like Hercules and Anastasia, while being interested in a variety of Greek Mythology. Adding on, she also likes historical musicals such as Hamilton, Newsies, and Six, and she has a fierce taste for food, loving spicy Indian food and Indochinese food.
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal