“Never Have I Ever:” A High School Story

Gia Nguyen

Disclaimer: “Never Have I Ever” is rated TV-14 and may not be suitable for ages 14 and under. 

Indian American high schooler Devi Vishwakumar (Maitreyi Ramakrishnan) navigates junior year in season three of the Netflix comedy series, “Never Have I Ever,” released Aug. 12. Created by Mindy Kaling and Lang Fisher, the show chronicles Devi’s life a year after her father unexpectedly passes. To move past her grief, she sets out to achieve the glamorized high school experience of boyfriends, parties, and popularity.

After a journey paved by several poor decisions, she seems to have struck success by season three, including dating athlete heartthrob Paxton Hall-Yoshida (Darren Barnet). However, as her relationships come together and fall apart, she learns to love herself instead of depending on others to. Season three of “Never Have I Ever” is a heartwarming addition to the coming-of-age story noteworthy for its South Asian representation yet lacking proper cultural awareness of its other characters.

One of its greater aspects is its stereotype-defying characters that bring authenticity to the show. Brazen and sometimes arrogant, Devi’s decision-making is often flawed; at times she gossipped, lied, and abandoned her friends for boys. Many of her actions range from morally grey to unethical, but what keeps the audience attached is her caring heart and never-ending determination to make things right. Although she hasn’t grown out of her impulsiveness by season three, Devi begins building self-confidence rather than chasing external validation. 

Devi’s mother, Nalini Vishwakumar (Poorna Jagannathan), is also written with exceptional depth. Nalini is often strict and critical of Devi, putting them at odds. Likewise, her interactions with others tend to be blunt and unaffectionate. However, when Devi experiences a traumatic episode reliving her father’s death, Nalini doesn’t hesitate to defend her daughter even when her closest confidant doubts Devi’s sanity.

Where “Never Have I Ever” falls short is its Islamophobic portrayal of Muslim characters. In season one, Nalini demonstrates disdain for someone’s marriage because their spouse was Muslim. To compensate, some hoped that Aneesa Qureshi (Megan Suri), a Muslim student at Devi’s school, would provide positive representation after being introduced in season two. Unfortunately, her character showed little concern for her religion, invoking critiques of performative representation. 

Additionally, the depiction of Ben Gross (Jaren Lewison), Devi’s enemy-turned-lover, garnered criticism for relying on antisemitic stereotypes, including his incredibly wealthy background, absent lawyer father, and vast unpopularity while rarely discussing his Jewish identity.

Although the show has unacceptable flaws, the significant strides in South Asian representation cannot be ignored. “Never Have I Ever” doesn’t fall into the typical one-dimensional tropes that rely on people of color solely for comedic effect, allowing many of its characters nuance and relatability. The show received criticism for inaccurately depicting Indian characters and relationships, to which Ramakrishnan points out that no singular show can encompass all South Asian experiences.

“Devi does not represent the entirety of the South Asian community,” Ramakrishnan tweeted. “She is merely one story influenced by real-life experience. There are still many stories waiting to be told.”

“Never Have I Ever” season three was a mix of remarkable and inadequate, showcasing a lovable main cast yet problematic characterization for others. The fourth season, releasing in 2023, will likely continue the charming storyline but hopefully remedy its past biases. With the final chapter approaching, viewers are in for another awkward yet endearing adventure as Devi goes into senior year — for the first time ever.

Laura Liu
Laura Liu, Editor in Chief

Laura Liu is the current Editor-in-Chief and A&E editor of the Gamut, and if she was an object, she’d be a clock on her wall that’s always 10 minutes late. Her love of writing began in first grade after writing a story about a mermaid who threw up a person, and when recommended to join Gamut by then advisor and her English teacher, Mrs. Galván, Laura seized the opportunity. Due to being its editor, it’s no surprise that A&E is her favorite section, where you can fangirl or vent for 500 words. On top of writing and editing it, Laura also just loves it, often reading historical genres and watching TV shows, in particular, Gilmore Girls, which she often recommends. On campus, you can find her at SkillsUSA, Chinese Culture and Language Club, and GEC, as president. Although she boasts many extracurriculars, you couldn’t catch her dead at a sport due to a burning detestation of physical activity. With her characteristic handwriting and notes, love of elbow macaroni (which she could eat with any pasta dish), and the color pink (a great color and the color version of herself), Laura is equipped for any type of situation. Perhaps most importantly though, if she were to be stranded on an island and bring 3 things, she’d bring a journal, her phone, and a swiss army knife set, since surely there will be something in there that can help her.

Gia Nguyen
Gia Nguyen, Assistant Art/Layout/Web Content Editor

Serving his second year, meet Gia Nguyen, the beloved assistant layout editor of The Gamut. Gia’s story with the newspaper began when he decided the structured format of OA’s art program wasn’t for him. Instead, he prefers the freedom that journalism offered him, allowing him to experiment with his art style, and incorporate art with an academic field. Outside of diligently working on Gamut’s art and layout, you can find Gia bopping to the Spider Verse movie soundtrack, tearing up to emotional movies, taking refreshing walks, and cooking and baking (he makes a mean chicken fettuccine alfredo). Despite having a patient demeanor, Gia has a few dislikes: going through the motions, math and science, and wet and mushy foods (wet spinach irks him). With a passionate personality, Gia is excited for this year in Gamut, personally aiming to have a strong work ethic and improve the quality of his Gamut drafts.