How Lloyd Morrisett changed children’s television

Vivian Nguyen

Lloyd Morrisett, co-creator of the beloved childhood television series, “Sesame Street,” passed away on Jan. 15 at the age of 93. He helped shape it into one of the longest-running and influential shows in the world, airing its first episode in 1969 and receiving over two hundred Emmy Awards since. Transforming the scope of children’s television, Morrisett will long be remembered for his work behind the screens and impact lasting generations.

Initially set on working in academia, Morrisett earned his Ph.D. at Yale in experimental psychology and took on a teaching job at the University of California, Berkeley. Though passionate about his field, he found teaching uneventful and left to join the Social Science Research Council and later the Carnegie Corporation.

At Carnegie, Morrisett focused on projects surrounding early education but found that, in the wake of the Civil Rights Movement, minority and low-income students entering school were falling behind in their age group. He worked to reduce educational disadvantages but became frustrated that their efforts could only reach a small number of people.

One day, while watching his three-year-old daughter sing a television jingle, he noticed how easily children memorized the lyrics and rhythms of advertisements and wondered if the same could apply to an educational show — making learning accessible and enjoyable for children across the nation.

Thus, the concept of “Sesame Street” was born. He pitched his idea to Joan Ganz Cooney, a television writer and producer, who quickly came on board. Cooney spent the following months writing a report titled “The Potential Uses of Television in Pre-School Education,” while Morrisett reined in millions of dollars from Carnegie and the Ford Foundation to fund their project. Together, they created the Children’s Television Workshop, later renamed the Sesame Workshop, to produce “Sesame Street.”

“Sesame Street” became the first children’s show to incorporate educational material into its content, setting itself apart from typical cartoons of the time like “Tom and Jerry” and “Looney Tunes.” Beyond the fun music and brightly colored characters, “Sesame Street” also stood out for its diverse representation. Introducing characters with struggles like homelessness or parent incarceration, the show encourages children to sympathize with their experiences rather than vilify them.

The series was also one of the first to feature someone with Down syndrome on television and Muppets who were also chronically ill or disabled. Characters like Kami, who is HIV-positive, and Julia, who is autistic, teach children to embrace each other’s differences.

“The Muppets were different colors, different shapes, different sizes,” Morrisett said during an interview with WBUR-FM in 2019. “That was put in to show kids that they could be friends with people who weren’t like them.”

Embracing themes of compassion and inclusivity, the show shines for its authentic approach to learning. “Sesame Street” continues to be an emblem of many childhoods over half a century since it first aired, thanks to Morrisett’s vision and leadership.

“Without Lloyd Morrisett, there would be no ‘Sesame Street,’” Cooney said. “He was a trusted partner and loyal friend to me for over 50 years, and he will be sorely missed.”

Laura Liu, Editor in Chief

Laura Liu is the current Editor-in-Chief and A&E editor of the Gamut, and if she was an object, she’d be a clock on her wall that’s always 10 minutes late. Her love of writing began in first grade after writing a story about a mermaid who threw up a person, and when recommended to join Gamut by then advisor and her English teacher, Mrs. Galván, Laura seized the opportunity. Due to being its editor, it’s no surprise that A&E is her favorite section, where you can fangirl or vent for 500 words. On top of writing and editing it, Laura also just loves it, often reading historical genres and watching TV shows, in particular, Gilmore Girls, which she often recommends. On campus, you can find her at SkillsUSA, Chinese Culture and Language Club, and GEC, as president. Although she boasts many extracurriculars, you couldn’t catch her dead at a sport due to a burning detestation of physical activity. With her characteristic handwriting and notes, love of elbow macaroni (which she could eat with any pasta dish), and the color pink (a great color and the color version of herself), Laura is equipped for any type of situation. Perhaps most importantly though, if she were to be stranded on an island and bring 3 things, she’d bring a journal, her phone, and a swiss army knife set, since surely there will be something in there that can help her.

Vivian Nguyen, Senior Staff Artist
Entering her senior year at Oxford Academy, Vivian Nguyen is currently in her third year of illustrating for the Gamut. Her love for the comics and illustrations in the newspaper prior to her time on staff convinced her to become a contributor for the paper. Aside from drawing, Vivian enjoys creating HTML websites in various themes, as well as playing minesweeper and solitaire. Despite being a fan of a wide variety of items, ranging from 90s-esque things, Dr. Pepper Zero, raw salmon, and alkaline soap, Vivian also holds grudges against bitter melons and Myers-Briggs personality indicators. Vivian looks forward to spending her last year illustrating for new Gamut issues and helping with Gamut events — but most importantly, graduating.