Longtime fans find heaven in Conan Gray’s new album

Gia Nguyen

Continuing his biennial trend of releasing albums, quintessential Gen Z pop star Conan Gray released his third studio album “Found Heaven” on April 5. Through the 13 songs of the album, Gray experiments with nostalgic notes, departing from his signature teenage bedroom pop sound and embracing ’80s-esque production, capturing a fresh sonic identity by combining synth-pop beats with his traditional ballads and breakup angst. 

The titular song, “Found Heaven,” ditches the adolescent coming-of-age vibe and acoustic tones evocative of previous indie-pop works like “Kid Krow,” and “Superache,” as it leans into the infectious energy of the ’80s. Reminiscent of Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody” in the intro, Gray’s album opener alerts longtime fans that the album aims to refurbish his voice to something more unique and perhaps better. Despite the shift in sound, Gray still holds on to his relatable lyricism that sings of jealousy, heartbreak, and envy throughout his post-breakup album.

In lead singles and music videos “Never Ending Song” and ‘Lonely Dancers,” this genre shift is evident not only through his energetic choreographies and stylistic outfits but also through a reliance on Gray’s lower vocal register that shines in both songs. Especially utilized in “Lonely Dancers,” Gray nails the retro vibe with disco-funk characteristics like syncopated bass lines and lyrical motifs that throwback to Michael Jackson’s Thriller era. 

“[The song is about] a painful tumultuous relationship that just never seems to die no matter how many times you kill it. The story just drags on and on,” Gray added in an interview with Rolling Stone. “Maybe that’s by design, or maybe you secretly don’t want it to ever end. I’ve always enjoyed disguising my sadness inside of upbeat music.”

Sticking to his trademark themes with the track “Boys & Girls,” Gray counters his despair of always being the second choice with sick electronic beats that transport listeners through different retro sounds. Transforming the lyrics, “You wouldn’t care if I fell over and died,” into a catchy tune, Gray’s famously blunt yet raw and emotional lyricism continues to be the heart of his music, just through different lenses. 

Fan favorite track “Bourgeoisies” boasts a tone shift where Gray takes a break from the heartache to poke fun at the ludicrous shows of luxury associated with the upper class. Yet, rather than successfully painting himself as a “low-class guy,” the song falls flat. Despite catchy production redolent of ‘70s pop, Gray performatively sings of wanting Maseratis and wealth yet neglects his millionaire status and fame grand enough to headline Kia Forum.

Through this new release, Conan Gray’s bold sonic exploration showcases his artistic variety, adding depth to his teenage pop niche of teenage pop. Even with new production emulating the groove of the 80’s, Gray seamlessly grounds his album in his typical authentic lyricism. This shift in sound brings forth new fans, new songs, and a new Conan Gray. 

$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Oxford Academy. Your contribution will allow us to cover our website hosting for the 2024-2025 school year. Thank you for your support!

Nandita Bussa
Nandita Bussa, News Editor
Passionate about writing and journalism, Nandita grew up reading a variety of books that inspired her to have the dream to someday publish her own. As a sophomore staff writer this year, journalism is a way to express herself and develop unique writing styles. She holds a special personality of being extroverted and a little nerdy. Her friends describe her as a friend who is non-judgemental, trustworthy, and a shoulder to lean on. In her free time, she loves to play volleyball, watch '90s Rom-coms and K-dramas, and listen to fun boy band music, such as One Direction, BTS, and Queen. She also enjoys watching all kinds of movies, such as Titanic, Mean Girls, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, 10 Things I Hate About You, The Breakfast Club, and Disney Movies like Hercules and Anastasia, while being interested in a variety of Greek Mythology. Adding on, she also likes historical musicals such as Hamilton, Newsies, and Six, and she has a fierce taste for food, loving spicy Indian food and Indochinese food.
Gia Nguyen
Gia Nguyen, Layout Editor

Serving his second year, meet Gia Nguyen, the beloved assistant layout editor of The Gamut. Gia’s story with the newspaper began when he decided the structured format of OA’s art program wasn’t for him. Instead, he prefers the freedom that journalism offered him, allowing him to experiment with his art style, and incorporate art with an academic field. Outside of diligently working on Gamut’s art and layout, you can find Gia bopping to the Spider Verse movie soundtrack, tearing up to emotional movies, taking refreshing walks, and cooking and baking (he makes a mean chicken fettuccine alfredo). Despite having a patient demeanor, Gia has a few dislikes: going through the motions, math and science, and wet and mushy foods (wet spinach irks him). With a passionate personality, Gia is excited for this year in Gamut, personally aiming to have a strong work ethic and improve the quality of his Gamut drafts.

$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal