Out with Netflix, in with the DVDs

Now that DVDs, CDs, and VHS have bid their farewells in daily life, consumers are trapped in the subscription economy. As the golden age of streaming tarnishes, corporations can remove content from streaming services at any time, leaving consumers responsible for the lack of security in digital entertainment.

In December 2023, Playstation announced the removal of all Discovery Channel content due to licensing agreements. PlayStation users who had bought this media in the past would have lost their ownership, despite already paying to own instead of rent it. In response to public backlash on this decision, PlayStation released an announcement on Dec. 21, canceling this plan due to updated licensing agreements. Regardless, this situation demonstrates the precarious nature of digital media ownership.

According to a 2022 Deloitte statistic, 88 percent of households paid for a streaming service subscription, with an average of four subscriptions. Meanwhile, a West Monroe 2021 poll found that the consumers spend $273 per month on subscriptions alone. Streaming’s unlimited catalog comes at a hefty price; with fractured series and an oversaturation of platforms, the neverending fees are grim compared to the once-standard one-time purchase of physical media. Streaming services frequently transfer ownership of shows and movies, forcing consumers to accumulate subscriptions. For instance, Disney+ recently took ownership of the newest seasons of “Doctor Who.” This decision split the show’s previous 39 seasons across two other platforms: Max and BritBox. With the accessibility of media at greater peril than ever, consumers are continuously buying without owning anything.

Although streaming allows more access to media than ever, the overabundance of streaming services scrambling to hoard intellectual property undermines their availability. In 2018, Netflix paid $100 million to keep hit television show “Friends” on the platform for an additional year, a drastic change from the annual $30 million beforehand. With advertisements proliferating streaming services, password sharing regulations, and price increases, these services are reverting to an older issue they attempted to solve.

By creating widespread accessibility to a plethora of media, contracts and deals are non negotiable aspects of the entertainment industry. These common business practices aren’t streaming entities’ sole weight to bear. Still, the streaming era’s advancements come at a steep cost. Corporations entrusted with media and upholding deals disregard the losses to the public if contracts aren’t renewed. By devaluing art through its seamless removal and paying low residuals to contributors, corporations lack accountability, the temporary ownership of media rubs salt in the wound for all parties involved.

The lack of reliability in accessing digital content calls for an investment in physical media. Physical media doesn’t have to be a dying art. From collector-oriented or fan-themed box sets, physical media adds a unique, custom value to the traditional cinematic experience. As streamers shift away from buying into corporations’ streaming business model, companies can strive to change this exhausting practice.

$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Oxford Academy. Your contribution will allow us to cover our website hosting for the 2024-2025 school year. Thank you for your support!

Trisha Phan
Trisha Phan, Editor in Chief
Trisha Phan, a senior at Oxford, is this year's Editor in Chief of The Gamut. A staff member since freshman year, she served as the Lifestyle Editor for the 22-23 school year (her personal favorite section, as a lover of fun diction and features). Trisha is also the Co-President of the new Law and Politics Club and the Co-President of Cartooning Club (and advises all who love drawing to join). During her free time, she enjoys crocheting stuffed animals and reading. A Lana Del Rey and Taylor Swift enthusiast, her favorite albums are NFR and Reputation. Since becoming part of the Gamut in her freshman year, Trisha has fallen in love with journalism, and is looking forward to trying new things this school year.
Justin Le
Justin Le, Op-Ed Editor
Justin Le is a current sophomore, beginning his second year on the Gamut staff. His interest in joining the staff came from the popular 2000s television show, Gilmore Girls, one of his personal favorite series. Since one of the protagonists is a member of their respective student-run newspaper, it only made sense for him to follow suit. Additionally, some of Justin's hobbies include binging TV shows, reading from time to time, and joining sports for about a 24-hour period before promptly quitting them. Although Justin may not be very dedicated to his life as a student athlete, he is certainly dedicated to The Gamut, so much so that he sacrificed his year-long pencil pouch for the sake of keeping a stack of GamSlam brochures from blowing away. Justin’s former Word Hunt addiction might also be pretty compelling, considering he has a total of 1858 wins, more than should be humanly possible. In addition, Justin stays involved here at Oxford, as he is SCC’s Activities Commissioner, as well as an active member of VSA, International Club, and ECO. So when he's not writing moving articles about Taylor Swift, he's got a plethora of other activities to choose from.
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal