Honoring Mr. Kim’s Legacy

Photo Courtesy of Mr Kim’s Family

Beloved Oxford teacher Mr. David Kim passed away on Jan. 2, 2024.

Oxford Academy is thankful for his many contributions to our campus. He joined the school in 2013 and was an integral part of this community.

“Mr. Kim treated everyone like a dignitary. He cared for not only students and their learning, but he also cared deeply about staff members. He was a very compassionate person, understanding and selfless,” Assistant Principal Dr. Esther Cho said. 

Immigrating to the U.S. from South Korea at age 16, Mr. Kim served in the U.S. Army and became a teacher in 2005. His impact on Oxford Academy is felt by many as he created multiple courses and advised the school’s Korean Culture Awareness club and OASIS Jesus club to bring his passion for his culture and religion to students. Collaborating with the International Korean Educators Network and the Consulate General for the Ministry of Education, he founded Oxford’s Korean Language program (one of the three language pathways open to students) and the Korean film course to broaden his students’ horizons. He also made Oxford Academy the first school in the U.S. to have Korean language as part of the Seal of Biliteracy.

“[I fondly remember Mr. Kim] wearing his apron, making kimbap with students, passing out food, and always being so joyful,” math teacher Ms. Susie Min said. “Some of the students said, ‘[I wasn’t] the best student in his class, but when I was tired he brought me coffee, when I didn’t have lunch, he gave me ramen.’ He was caring. It didn’t matter who you were, he treated everyone with the same care and genuine love.”

His love for teaching was felt by his many students over the years, who always felt welcomed and encouraged to learn in his classroom. He arranged field trips to Koreatown in Los Angeles and shared traditional Korean food with students. Known for his generosity, Mr. Kim frequently provided advice and support to his students. 

“He was very caring, patient, and had a lot of integrity. He made Korean learning really fun,” senior Vyvy Tran said. “He made everything interactive and tried to spread Korean culture to make it more approachable [so] you wanted to learn more. You could tell he was very passionate about what he did.”

Mr. Kim significantly supported the school and district. He introduced schools to the Korean language test in the “New England Language Test,” allowing students to gain college credit, and helped promote Anaheim Unified High School District with Korean news channels. 

“[Mr. Kim] was instrumental in making Korean instruction grow,” Spanish teacher Mrs. Susan Stephan said. “He was willing to help anyone; he was just a joy to work with, and a happy person. We worked together on the weighted Korean 4 Honors course, [and] it was so great to collaborate with him. He was very, very supportive and thankful and kind.”

He also worked as a liaison between parents and teachers through the Parent Teacher Student Association and the Korean Parent Association, as well as serving on the Superintendent’s Advisory Board to advocate for the needs of school sites. During the creation of Cambridge Virtual Academy, he directed Korean language seminars to support Korean students during the registration process. 

“He really tried to bring Korea to his classroom through his instruction and teaching. He would love to see the Korean program and legacy continue, and for students to continue staying diligent and continue their passion for the culture,” Dr. Cho said.

Mr. Kim’s Celebration of Life was held on March 8 from 3:45 to 4:45 p.m. in the Oxford Academy Zen Garden. Students, staff, and community members gathered to honor Mr. Kim with a candlelight vigil, taekwondo and K-Pop dance demonstrations by Oxford students, and a song dedication of “Teacher’s Grace” by the Korean Culture Association.

“Mr. Kim cared about people and students and always looked out for others,” Ms. Min said.  “Even though he is gone I believe he can still see us [from heaven]. [He found it important] to know [students’] own roots, which helped them not only appreciate diversity, but also to appreciate their own heritage. I’m just sad we didn’t have the chance to show him support and love when he was going through hardship. Breaking the silence helps [him to] not to be forgotten.”

Mr. Kim is survived by his loving family including both of his parents, his wife, and his three daughters.  He will be deeply missed by Oxford Academy’s students and staff. His legacy will continue to live on through the Korean program he so passionately established, as well as the positive environment he created and the people he brilliantly inspired

Trisha Phan
Trisha Phan, Editor in Chief
Trisha Phan, a senior at Oxford, is this year's Editor in Chief of The Gamut. A staff member since freshman year, she served as the Lifestyle Editor for the 22-23 school year (her personal favorite section, as a lover of fun diction and features). Trisha is also the Co-President of the new Law and Politics Club and the Co-President of Cartooning Club (and advises all who love drawing to join). During her free time, she enjoys crocheting stuffed animals and reading. A Lana Del Rey and Taylor Swift enthusiast, her favorite albums are NFR and Reputation. Since becoming part of the Gamut in her freshman year, Trisha has fallen in love with journalism, and is looking forward to trying new things this school year.
Lavanya Shyamsundar
Lavanya Shyamsundar, Managing Editor
Lavanya Shyamsundar will be serving the Gamut this year as Managing Editor. As a senior, she’s looking forward to completing college applications and most importantly enjoying her last year in high school. Lavanya first joined the Gamut out of her own interest for journalism and love for the newspaper, wanting to find a place where she could write. And in her fourth and final year in the Gamut, she’s excited about all of the new content that the Gamut will produce this year, as well as supporting and improving the Gamut community as a role model. Outside of senior expectations and Gamut responsibilities, Lavanya is a pasta-loving, Indian classical-music-enjoying singer who enjoys thought-provoking topics that make you think about life. She loves food (as long as it’s vegetarian), and loves the colors purple and pink, self-titling herself as “the embodiment of pink.” She enjoys listening to bands like Lamp, Radiohead, and Cocteau Twins. And if you’re ever talking to her, she might hit you with one of her very specific would-you-rather questions to spice up the conversation. As she takes the next step in life, her one piece of advice to underclassmen as a senior is to push yourself to try new things, even if it’s hard.