Disneyland Forward is a step backwards for residents

Disneyland’s expansion proposal poses threats to quality of life within Anaheim through the privatization of public streets and strains on city infrastructure.
Eva Kim

The sun never sets on Disney’s empire with its 12 theme parks around the world and tight grip on the entertainment industry. And it keeps on growing — at the cost of its local communities. 

On Jan. 23, an Anaheim City Council workshop provided an overview of Disneyland Forward, a project allowing Disneyland to further expand its theme parks. Informational workshops and hearings are currently underway and will occur throughout March, with an expected city council vote in May. As the entertainment behemoth pushes for further control over Anaheim, this expansion project poses a major disruption to residents’ quality of life. 

The proposal seeks to update how Disneyland is able to use its property around its main theme parks. Notably, Disney is not planning on purchasing any additional land. Instead, they are seeking to rezone their property as mixed-use, so that theme park attractions, hotels, shopping, and entertainment areas could be built together rather than in designated zoning areas. This would pave the way for new attractions and amenities over the next 30 years. 

The merits of Disneyland Forward lie in its ability to fuel the city’s budget, but at the cost of residents’ wellbeing.

The merits of Disneyland Forward lie in its ability to fuel the city’s budget, but at the cost of residents’ wellbeing. According to its contract, Disney would be exempt from noise restrictions for construction from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. for 30 years. The construction of new entertainment areas invites more chain restaurants and shopping districts, welcoming a projected 15 million more tourists across the street from the homes of Anaheim residents. Parking infrastructure is excluded in initial investment costs, raising concerns about traffic overflow into neighborhoods.

More concerningly, Disney requests to privatize public streets, including parts of Magic Way, Hotel Way, Walnut Street, and Clementine Street South. Approximately 10,000 cars drive on Magic Way per day — a road that taxpayers already paid for in a 1996 deal that allowed Disney to close part of Cerritos Avenue and move it to Magic Way in order to build California Adventure.

By encroaching into public areas, Disneyland’s schedule takes precedence over residents’ daily lives.

By encroaching into public areas, Disneyland’s schedule takes precedence over residents’ daily lives. Although Disney is willing to pay for the market value of the streets, they aren’t compensating for the traffic impact caused by road loss. The city receives compensation while citizens are left behind.

“We end up being collateral damage every time Disney wants something. I feel these changes will leave me sitting on Ball Road daily being angry with Disney, angry with city hall and eventually angry with the tourists my family has always welcomed knowing the value they bring to our city,” Anaheim resident Stephanie Mercadente said in a city council meeting.

Disney is the single largest private employer in Orange County. Although the project would provide about 13,000 new jobs, most would barely be a livable wage starting at $19.90 an hour. For a massive corporation like Disney, company loyalty means little. Oftentimes, these minimum wage part time jobs aren’t enough for long-time residents of Anaheim striving to build stability for their families. After all, nearly half of Anaheim’s residents rely on CalOptima, a public health insurance for low-income Orange County citizens.

We end up being collateral damage every time Disney wants something. I feel these changes will leave me sitting on Ball Road daily being angry with Disney, angry with city hall and eventually angry with the tourists my family has always welcomed knowing the value they bring to our city.

— Stephanie Mercadente

Accommodating for its community impact, a total of $63 million will be dedicated to transportation improvements, sewer improvements, and parks, which could positively transform the local community if the project’s goals are aligned to fit community needs. 

Disney’s proposal also provides $30 million to fund a city-owned housing trust. City Council members questioned the longevity of these contributions to housing, as Disney’s initial $15 million payment would create only 25 housing units. Disney should direct its focus towards providing long-term support such as through providing additional funding towards first-time home buyer programs or housing vouchers. 

The company’s promises to fund city services fall short in the wake of recent controversies regarding improper spending with Anaheim City Hall, the Chamber of Commerce, and the local tourism Bureau, Visit Anaheim. Recent audits found thousands of dollars intended for tourism used by the Chamber to lobby elected officials over the past decade. After a 353-page FBI report revealed potential money laundering from Anaheim’s former mayor, this raises concerns over whether Disney’s funds will reach the areas that need it most.

These influences could sway council members to vote for corporations rather than the city they serve, putting their residents at risk.

These funds don’t outweigh the costs of Disney’s expansion.Disney spent over $1 million in the 2022 city council election to back their preferred candidates. These influences could sway council members to vote for corporations rather than the city they serve, putting their residents at risk. Students can email Anaheim City Council members regarding concerns about Disneyland Forward and attend council meetings throughout the spring to spark change. It’s time that residents come first.

Trisha Phan
Trisha Phan, Editor in Chief
Trisha Phan, a senior at Oxford, is this year's Editor in Chief of The Gamut. A staff member since freshman year, she served as the Lifestyle Editor for the 22-23 school year (her personal favorite section, as a lover of fun diction and features). Trisha is also the Co-President of the new Law and Politics Club and the Co-President of Cartooning Club (and advises all who love drawing to join). During her free time, she enjoys crocheting stuffed animals and reading. A Lana Del Rey and Taylor Swift enthusiast, her favorite albums are NFR and Reputation. Since becoming part of the Gamut in her freshman year, Trisha has fallen in love with journalism, and is looking forward to trying new things this school year.
Eva Kim
Eva Kim, Staff Artist
Sophomore Eva Kim is just one of the many fresh faces on the Gamut staff this year, serving as an illustrator. Eva joined the Gamut in hopes of working with passionate, like-minded artists that share her love for drawing on both a recreational and professional level. Dating back to the fourth grade, Eva pinpoints the beginning of her art journey to working with watercolor before eventually branching out to digital art, of which she has amassed a brilliant portfolio. Her greatest inspiration are Instagram artists — explaining her dangerously high screen time on the app — but her muse is the mushroom for its cute, versatile appearance and “it tastes okay, too.” In her free time, Eva enjoys playing with her Jack Russell named Jadoo, named after a Korean children’s cartoon, as well as listening to playlists packed with Lyn Lapid and Dean.