Volunteering opportunities to spice up your summer

Eva Kim

By the end of the school year, most of us are long overdue for a break from grueling AP tests and stressful finals. With schoolwork out of the way and more excess free time, summer break can be a time to keep busy in your community. Volunteering is an important opportunity for students, so here are some fun options to try near Orange County.

Friendship OC

Friendship OC helps children and adults with physical and developmental disabilities. Their mission is to provide special needs individuals with social and recreational opportunities; Basketball Buddies, Soccer Stars, and tennis classes let volunteers help out in a sport of choice. Those over fifteen can attend Hangin’ With Friends events that cater to young adult entertainment. Applicants can attend standalone or recurring events if over thirteen years old.

WAGS Pet Adoption

The Westminster Adoption Group and Services (WAGS) has a program for teens who enjoy caring for animals. WAGS is a popular animal adoption center that finds new homes for lost or ill animals. Applicants must be fifteen or older, and duties vary based on age group. For those between fifteen and eighteen, responsibilities include cleaning the premises, assembling home adoption kits, and rabbit care. If you’re over eighteen, you can participate in cat and dog cleaning, training, play, and walking. The program requires an hour-per-week commitment for six months, so you’ll volunteer a few months into the school year as well.

Charity’s Closet Thrift Shop

With thrifting on the rise, volunteering at a thrift shop is an interesting venture that may also net you some new clothes. Charity’s Closet Thrift Shop in Placentia offers volunteer positions to teens looking to lend a helping hand. The store’s hours are convenient for summer, being open Thursday through Sunday from twelve to three. High school volunteers facilitate transactions and accept clothes donations. The shop is run completely by volunteer work and helps support the Homelessness Intervention Services of OC, so volunteers can make a huge difference to many parts of their community at this thrift shop.

Aquarium of the Pacific

The Aquarium of the Pacific is a tourist destination that also needs volunteers. They offer a variety of different programs, but as of now, the education volunteer is the only program available. Education volunteers oversee touch pools, information carts, and galleries to give information to guests. Their main job is to educate visitors on marine life and programs in the aquarium. Shifts are designated as morning, from 8:30 am to 1:30 pm, and evening, from 1:00 pm to 6:00 pm. The program lasts for three months and volunteers attend shifts on a twice-weekly basis. If you’re interested in marine life, the education volunteer opportunity is a great choice.

There are many volunteer and internship opportunities in OC, and each one needs your help to support the local community. Be sure to relax this summer and take time to yourself, but also give some of your free time to important causes in our community.

$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Oxford Academy. Your contribution will allow us to cover our website hosting for the 2024-2025 school year. Thank you for your support!

Tyler Nguyen
Tyler Nguyen, Staff Photographer
Active zucchini bread hater and morning showerer, Tyler Nguyen is a sophomore writer on staff, excited to write and tackle journalism competitions. Despite his self-diagnosed declaration of being “obnoxiously loud,” Tyler is an understanding, open-minded, and overall chill guy with a lottery-winning smile. Coincidentally, he compares himself to a lottery wheel, and whether it’s because he’s adventurous or indecisive, we’ll never know. With future aspirations of going into physical therapy, he currently plays tennis and commits to the gym. On campus, you might see him with a camera taking photos for the Gamut and pursuing his passion for photography. Outside of campus, you’ll find him volunteering with his signature Tyler Smile™. Whether you’re looking for an easygoing guy to strike up a conversation with or a dude with a dog named Bella, Tyler’s got your back.
Eva Kim
Eva Kim, Staff Artist
Sophomore Eva Kim is just one of the many fresh faces on the Gamut staff this year, serving as an illustrator. Eva joined the Gamut in hopes of working with passionate, like-minded artists that share her love for drawing on both a recreational and professional level. Dating back to the fourth grade, Eva pinpoints the beginning of her art journey to working with watercolor before eventually branching out to digital art, of which she has amassed a brilliant portfolio. Her greatest inspiration are Instagram artists — explaining her dangerously high screen time on the app — but her muse is the mushroom for its cute, versatile appearance and “it tastes okay, too.” In her free time, Eva enjoys playing with her Jack Russell named Jadoo, named after a Korean children’s cartoon, as well as listening to playlists packed with Lyn Lapid and Dean.
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal