Flying High With ALAS

Club+Rush%3A+Seniors+Vanessa+Velasquez+%28left%29+and+Mariafatima+Varias+%28right%29+take+a+photo+with+the+ALAS+Club+Rush+frame.+
Sarah Li
Club Rush: Seniors Vanessa Velasquez (left) and Mariafatima Varias (right) take a photo with the ALAS Club Rush frame.

To kick off Hispanic Heritage Month, the Association of Latin American Scholars (ALAS) hosted an exciting week full of cultural activities in the quad from Sept. 6 to 9. Among the three-day lineup celebrating Hispanic culture were games of lotería, a homemade food tour supplemented by students, and an energetic dance session. 

Meaning “wings” in Spanish, ALAS aims to bridge cultural gaps on campus for current and incoming students. The club is led by co-presidents seniors Mariafatima Varias and Joseph Reyes, who hold meetings every other Thursday during lunch in Room 102 with their advisor, Mrs. Casanova. 

“ALAS is very important in building community [at Oxford],” said Reyes. “We, [ALAS members], see ourselves in the future generation [to] help make campus a more inclusive environment where Hispanic culture is celebrated.”

On top of uplifting Hispanic students, the club also organizes meaningful service projects. Among these include a book drive for orphans in Mexico and an event where students knit quilts for elderly homes.

“ALAS makes you feel welcome no matter where you’re from, no matter what your grades are, no matter what your resumé looks like,” said Mrs. Casanova. “We’re just here to celebrate you and be proud of our heritage.”

Join ALAS via their sign-up form today!

About the Contributors
Haley Nguyen
Haley Nguyen, Arts & Entertainment Editor
Haley Nguyen is a M.I.D. (majestic, intelligent, and delicious) junior and is going into her third year of Gamut. For this 2023-2024 school year, she will be Gamut’s A&E editor as “it’s more interesting than the other sections” and is looking forward to getting to know the new additions to the Gamut family. Haley is also involved in Key Club and VSA (Vietnamese Student Association), which she danced for at the annual International Show. Aside from school, she is super big on typology such as MBTI and is an ENFP, a Word Hunt Fiend, and a chronic afterschool napper. Her prized possession is her light blue HydroFlask, which you might see her carrying around. Although it’s dented, can’t stand up straight, has a hole at the bottom, and more, she treasures it as it’s been with her through thick and thin since seventh grade.
Sarah Li
Sarah Li, Senior Staff Artist
Entering her last year of high school and second year on staff, the diligent, reliable, and pragmatic Sarah Li will serve as an illustrator for The Gamut. Aside from anticipating the joys of friendship and her senior year, Sarah allocates her time to her academic interests and hobbies, serving as Cyber Patriot president and SrCC member in addition to drawing and crocheting. Sarah’s appreciation for writing stems from its ability to provide an outlet for her thoughts, while her passion for art enables her ideas and creativities. Remaining ideologically dynamic, Sarah has no extreme dislikes, opting to keep an open mind instead. Sarah, a self-described T-Rex is looking forward to illustrating for The Gamut this school year!

Activate Search
Flying High With ALAS