Oxford needs better mental health support

Christine Nguyen

In a school emulating the academic rigor of a college environment, Oxford Academy students usually follow the unspoken rite of ceaseless work and constant stress. Oxford’s attempted fix for this falls short, glossing over the true cause of students’ ailments. 

Mindfulness — a meditation practice that focuses on one’s present state — has become the Anaheim Union High School District’s (AUHSD) default response when it comes to remedying student stress. Though not strictly enforced, Oxford has made it clear that mindfulness is its one-size-fits-all solution through its sparse emails about student mental health and mandatory in-class exercises.

However, mindfulness may adversely affect students. According to studies led by researchers at Brown University, University of Kentucky, and University of Oxford, mindfulness and meditation in general can have unspoken health detriments, including a spike in depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder. These are due to an overactivation of the brain’s insula, which can be triggered by the hyper-awareness of the body introduced by mindfulness.

While there are students who benefit from this technique, AUHSD’s promotion of it is a performative show for the district to hide behind when asked what they’re doing for student mental health. The root of the issue that Oxford specifically must address is the schoolwide fear of reaching out and the school’s deeply embedded burnout culture.

The stigma surrounding seeking help is mostly due to students’ fear of being seen as incapable. As a college-oriented school, students are naturally competitive as they scramble for the best college resumés and test scores. Instead of asking for support, students resort to self-deprecating jokes which feed further into a toxic school environment.

Furthermore, Oxford’s counselors’ open-door policy doesn’t do enough to help struggling students. Conflicting schedules and the unbalanced ratio of students to barely equipped counselors can deter students from getting the help they need. Trained social workers are also out of reach for most students as an admin or parent referral is needed. A classroom environment where students feel safe talking to staff about their mental health problems without the fear of their parents being notified can greatly benefit them, and staff should be able to recognize these signs and reach out to those struggling.

While student habits like procrastination can steepen the decline of mental health, hours of assigned homework and extracurriculars for the sake of college applications force students to prioritize their schedules over their well-being. This mindset is draining and inevitably leads to burnout, thinly disguised as “investing into one’s future.” 

Oxford must become more transparent on how they support their students beyond the classroom and a few resource links in an email. Deep breathing exercises are impractical for student health; research on better solutions to the student body’s plummeting health and greater investment in mental health resources, however, are crucial.

Haley Nguyen
Haley Nguyen, Arts & Entertainment Editor
Haley Nguyen is a M.I.D. (majestic, intelligent, and delicious) junior and is going into her third year of Gamut. For this 2023-2024 school year, she will be Gamut’s A&E editor as “it’s more interesting than the other sections” and is looking forward to getting to know the new additions to the Gamut family. Haley is also involved in Key Club and VSA (Vietnamese Student Association), which she danced for at the annual International Show. Aside from school, she is super big on typology such as MBTI and is an ENFP, a Word Hunt Fiend, and a chronic afterschool napper. Her prized possession is her light blue HydroFlask, which you might see her carrying around. Although it’s dented, can’t stand up straight, has a hole at the bottom, and more, she treasures it as it’s been with her through thick and thin since seventh grade.
Christine Nguyen
Christine Nguyen, Managing Editor
Christine Nguyen is many things: an Oxford Academy senior, the co-president of Creative Writing Club, an enthusiast of naming things after cars, and most importantly, the Gamut’s copy editor and co-A&E editor. Because freshman Christine decided to join the Gamut, today she is able to offer a detail-oriented mindset to push the quality of the newspaper. Not only does Christine hope to boost the standard of work being published, but also her closeness with Gamut staff. With an approachable, “big sister” demeanor, Christine looks forward to getting to know her peers better by checking in with them personally as she looks over their work. Outside of the Gamut, Christine is a connoisseur of the arts. She loves to compose poetry, craft creative prose, sketch, and create visual art. Outside of being human, Christine akins herself to a snail, admiring its resilient nature and cool-looking shell. This year, while Christine may not fulfill her dream of getting a dog named 2021 Cherokee Jeep, she hopes to achieve her other goal of making this year in Gamut a great one.