OA dress code: Last thoughts from students

The Gamut’s September issue included an article about the dress code forum and new changes made to the regulations. Along with the recap article, a form was sent out to gather student’s opinions and questions for admin to address. 

Most commonly, students wondered why there was a stigma against jeans. 

To this, Principal Amber Houston said, “It’s been a policy from the very beginning and opening of Oxford Academy. Under the direction of some founding people to keep it more in terms of a preparatory academy […] they decided that jeans will not be permitted because we want more professional-looking uniforms for this school.” 

Students also wondered why gray as an outerwear color was allowed, whereas black was not.

Houston explained that rather than having black implemented as a color for students to wear, gray was chosen since it better fit the overall color palette of Oxford. She also elaborated that the inclusion of this color was due to a need for a fourth color, aside from navy blue, red, and white, to accommodate the four different grade levels during spirit days.  

She said, “So gray was added as an additional class color because it was more matchy-matchy with the [red, white, and blue] rather than introducing a brand new bold color like black…”

A primary concern voiced by students was how much OA families were spending after the ban on black jackets. Data gathered from 19 student responses reflected how OA families now commonly spend over $100 on student clothing in one school year.

Responses also revealed that students are facing issues finding clothes compliant with the dress code. 

One patriot said, “I have lots of unused jackets because of the no logo and design rule. I know for a lot of people, they can’t afford to buy new clothes just to fit the school rules.

Students, overall, disagreed with the reinstated rules, with the majority expressing similar conclusions about the dress code being unrealistic and speaking out about how it doesn’t accommodate family budgets.  

An anonymous student said, “It is expensive — I had to get new sweaters for this school year and it’s supposed to make things easier on our parents but it really doesn’t…”

Whether the dress code is something OA students support or oppose, the Gamut believes that all student voices should be heard. Thank you to everyone who filled out the survey!

About the Contributors
Nandita Bussa
Nandita Bussa, Staff Writer
Passionate about writing and journalism, Nandita grew up reading a variety of books that inspired her to have the dream to someday publish her own. As a sophomore staff writer this year, journalism is a way to express herself and develop unique writing styles. She holds a special personality of being extroverted and a little nerdy. Her friends describe her as a friend who is non-judgemental, trustworthy, and a shoulder to lean on. In her free time, she loves to play volleyball, watch '90s Rom-coms and K-dramas, and listen to fun boy band music, such as One Direction, BTS, and Queen. She also enjoys watching all kinds of movies, such as Titanic, Mean Girls, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, 10 Things I Hate About You, The Breakfast Club, and Disney Movies like Hercules and Anastasia, while being interested in a variety of Greek Mythology. Adding on, she also likes historical musicals such as Hamilton, Newsies, and Six, and she has a fierce taste for food, loving spicy Indian food and Indochinese food.
Mikaela Woo
Mikaela Woo, Staff Writer
Mikaela Woo is a sophomore staff writer who, after a little push from her English teacher, decided to pursue her passion for writing, joining the Gamut back in 2022. She hopes to inform readers through her research and reporting, focusing on topics in A&E and Sports, which align with her deep love for softball, music, and pop culture. Possessing a bold, friendly, and dynamic personality, Mikaela is open to pretty much everyone and not shy about what she likes. She has mixed music tastes, ranging from pop girly-girl vibes to heartbreak country songs, and she often listens to artists such as Taylor Swift, Gracie Abrams, Zach Bryan, and Cody Johnson. Beyond music, readers won't be able to catch her without her phone, Diet Coke, and makeup, notably her mascara. Mikaela also enjoys the vibrant and endearingly campy nostalgia of classic 2000s teen-girl movies and shows like Mean Girls, Legally Blonde, and Gilmore Girls. In the face of a challenge, she remains persistent and resilient, always being able to handle them just in time. Mikaela’s authenticity shines through, especially in her work, so make sure to tune in! It's Mikaela’s era this year, her version.

Activate Search