The Gamut staff ranks the hottest hot chocolates

Nathan Perera
Hot Cocoa Hype: Gamut staffers freshmen Miriam Santos, Nandita Bussa, Mikaela Woo, and sophomore Haley Nguyen sample homemade champurrado.

There’s nothing cozier than huddling in a blanket on a chilly winter day with a steaming mug of hot chocolate. However, with so many varieties to choose from, the Gamut has sampled and ranked some popular hot chocolate recipes to make the harrowing decision easier!

1. French Hot Chocolate

Recreate the Parisian street café experience at home with a cup of this luxurious,bittersweet hot chocolate. Consisting of only whole milk and chopped dark chocolate, the French version of the famed drink is slowly cooked to achieve its signature thick texture. This hot chocolate’s ranking turned out quite controversial: some Gamut staffers found the drink to be too rich and bitter while others favored the chocolate’s deep complexity. For those with a sweet tooth, this drink may be more palatable once topped with whipped cream or a spoonful of sugar.

1. Swiss Miss Milk Chocolate with Marshmallow

Renowned for its nostalgia and foolproof convenience, the Swiss Miss instant hot chocolate is the quickest recipe on this list. Overall, most of the Gamut found Swiss Miss to be simply okay — this classic recipe works for those who are lazy or in a time crunch, but the overbearing sugariness diminishes the overall quality of the drink.

1. Starbucks Classic Hot Cocoa 

The coffee giant’s version of instant hot cocoa was agreed to be a step-up from Swiss Miss. Also a powder-based recipe, this drink had a more authentic chocolate flavor than its household staple competitor. A major drawback to this recipe, though, is the copious amounts of the hot cocoa mix needed to make the taste distinct. Otherwise, it became merely chocolate milk.

1. Champurrado

This chocolate-based atole is a warm, comforting hug packed with a subtly spicy punch, and was almost unanimously the class favorite. Most voters agreed that the cinnamon was a refreshing change of pace from traditional hot chocolate. “I was feeling sick but drinking this basically cured my illness. It’s amazing, though it tastes more like creamy milk rather than hot chocolate,” said one Gamut staffer. If the standard hot chocolate has grown tired for you, champurrado may be the perfect substitute.

Though the Gamut has declared its personal winner, all of these delicious hot cocoa recipes can sweeten your winter break!

About the Contributors
Haley Nguyen
Haley Nguyen, Arts & Entertainment Editor
Haley Nguyen is a M.I.D. (majestic, intelligent, and delicious) junior and is going into her third year of Gamut. For this 2023-2024 school year, she will be Gamut’s A&E editor as “it’s more interesting than the other sections” and is looking forward to getting to know the new additions to the Gamut family. Haley is also involved in Key Club and VSA (Vietnamese Student Association), which she danced for at the annual International Show. Aside from school, she is super big on typology such as MBTI and is an ENFP, a Word Hunt Fiend, and a chronic afterschool napper. Her prized possession is her light blue HydroFlask, which you might see her carrying around. Although it’s dented, can’t stand up straight, has a hole at the bottom, and more, she treasures it as it’s been with her through thick and thin since seventh grade.
Nathan Perera
Nathan Perera, Staff Writer
Nathan Perera will be beginning his second year in Gamut as a writer. He enjoys writing A&E, alternating between scathing reviews to praiseful columns. Writing is at the heart of Nathan’s passion, having first joined the Gamut to become part of a group of people that shared his love for writing. In addition, he is also the Vice President of the Creative Writing Club at Oxford Academy. Outside of school, he enjoys thrillers and dramas in the form of both books and TVs. “Cruel Summer” is among his favorite TV shows. He also enjoys alternative rock and pop. Lana Del Rey is his favorite artist, and his favorite album from her is Norman F. Rockwell. When asked what he likes most about her songs, he admitted he loved everything about it, ranging from their attractive visuals to heartfelt lyrics. Nathan is excited for the rest of his time in Gamut and Oxford, and he will continue to follow his passion for writing. 

Activate Search