Ranking the Top Five Festive Holiday Tunes

Lava
Holiday Tunes: Among the gamut of Christmas music, some simply stand out as the epitome of holiday cheer.

With laughter, cheer, and holiday magic in the air, nothing embodies the holly-jolly spirit of the winter season more than some heartwarming Christmas tunes. Despite the plethora of seasonal jingles, only a few deserve recognition as a hallmark of Christmas music. Here’s a ranking of the top five holiday songs. 

1. Santa Tell Me

Ariana Grande creates a Christmas staple by combining a boppy beat with catchy lyrics. “Santa Tell Me” compliments modern music with classical Christmas music. Mixing a pop with jingles and sleigh bells creates the perfect holiday tune for pop lovers. While definitely iconic, the lyrics are generic, not feeling like a true holiday tune. Overall, it’s definitely a solid melody, but not the best Christmas song.

1. 4. Underneath the Tree

Festive, feel-good, and fun, Kelly Clarkson’s upbeat tune is the perfect recipe for a Christmas song. Capturing the joyful message of Christmas, Clarkson’s song is based on human connection, focusing on cheesy love during the holiday season. However, the song has a similar message and feel to “All I Want for Christmas is You,” undermining its sense of authenticity.

1. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

The perfect song for a cozy night, Frank Sinatra’s rendition of “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” sets an enchanting jazz ambiance. Before artists relied on fast-tempo beats and catchy choruses, Sinatra uses a classical approach to the Christmas spirit. Bringing a ballad of positivity with a leisurely pace, the song reminds listeners of the season’s peace, countering daily life’s hustle and bustle.

1. Last Christmas

Wham!’s hit is a fun and snappy tune that makes you want to belt your heart out.

Despite its tendency to get stuck in your head, “Last Christmas” is a refreshing change of pace from normal Christmas songs filled with unbridled positivity. Taking a look at a journey of holiday season heartbreak, “Last Christmas” sets aside false optimism to highlight an underrated aspect of the holidays: acknowledging and moving forward from hardships.

1. All I Want For Christmas Is You

Topping the charts and our hearts, it’s no surprise Mariah Carey’s legendary hit takes first place. “All I Want for Christmas is You” ties in a warm message of cherishing loved ones with Carey’s stellar, astonishing vocals. Exuding cheer and acting as an overall bop, Mariah Carey’s song is the most iconic Christmas anthem. 

Even if you disagree with these rankings, don’t be a Scrooge — embrace these quintessential Christmas tunes. Be sure to treat yourself to the present of these iconic holiday jingles.

Lavanya Shyamsundar
Lavanya Shyamsundar, Managing Editor
Lavanya Shyamsundar will be serving the Gamut this year as Managing Editor. As a senior, she’s looking forward to completing college applications and most importantly enjoying her last year in high school. Lavanya first joined the Gamut out of her own interest for journalism and love for the newspaper, wanting to find a place where she could write. And in her fourth and final year in the Gamut, she’s excited about all of the new content that the Gamut will produce this year, as well as supporting and improving the Gamut community as a role model. Outside of senior expectations and Gamut responsibilities, Lavanya is a pasta-loving, Indian classical-music-enjoying singer who enjoys thought-provoking topics that make you think about life. She loves food (as long as it’s vegetarian), and loves the colors purple and pink, self-titling herself as “the embodiment of pink.” She enjoys listening to bands like Lamp, Radiohead, and Cocteau Twins. And if you’re ever talking to her, she might hit you with one of her very specific would-you-rather questions to spice up the conversation. As she takes the next step in life, her one piece of advice to underclassmen as a senior is to push yourself to try new things, even if it’s hard.