Street vendors struggle with Orange County’s unrealistic regulations

Sidewalk vending carts serving tacos, tamales, and fruit are excessively impounded by the Orange County Health Agency.
Vanessa Marin-Ixlan

City officials in Orange County moved to crack down on sidewalk food carts in March by introducing tight regulations on the activity, a decision directly in opposition to California Senate Bill No. 946 passed in 2018, which decriminalizes street vendors in California. The immediate result was a concerning number of vendor shutdowns across the county — proving city requirements to be unattainable. Despite public safety remaining a priority, the regulations placed by cities in Orange County overstep the rights of the vendor community and call for serious reconsideration of the ordinance. 

The wave of strict crackdowns has spread across numerous cities this past year. City council members in Laguna Hills, Stanton, Orange, Fullerton, and Placentia have each established various interpretations of the laws needed to govern street vending activities. Moreover, a countywide ordinance currently requires vendors to complete the full permit process while threatening merchants with criminal penalties in the case of violation. 

Enforcement efforts have been coupled with extensive additions to the application process. For example, the City of Fullerton’s Code Enforcement Division now outlines requirements including proof of seller’s permit, liability insurance, and permits from the City Fire Department and the Orange County Health Department. Although city officials argue that two official permits are achievable for street vendors, the process to obtain these permits is convoluted, especially when such legal procedures offer no translation to vendors’ native languages. Permits must also be renewed annually, making the practice tiresome to sustain consistently. 

“They just said I had to go through the right channels and I had to get the right permits. I did try that…I spent two years.” street vendor Peter Quezada said in an interview with KCAL News after his small business, Baja Street Tacos, was forcibly removed by the City of Fullerton.

Baja Street Tacos was just one of five street vending businesses removed in Fullerton in just one night. The unreasonably high thresholds used to design vendor restrictions do the opposite of what they aim to achieve: instead of reducing illegal vending activity, they increase it.

Legal infractions and misdemeanors thrust upon illegal vendors create higher risks of incarceration, disproportionately affecting the majority immigrant population of street vendors attempting to create a living for their families through public space. Lengthening the permit process for this business practice without considering the financial situation of these communities imposes expensive, time-consuming burdens — quashing any incentive to complete the process. 

Street vendors are ultimately forced to choose between sacrificing their month’s revenue for a lengthy process that yields only a temporary permit or giving up their business entirely.

The spike in hostility towards street vendors stems from concerns over illegal, unpermitted sidewalk merchants creating competition with brick-and-mortar restaurants, as well as the public health risks associated with food served outside of “proper” establishments. Small businesses such as street carts, though, call for unique capacity and safety obligations in comparison to their larger brick-and-mortar counterparts, with exhaustingly elaborate permit systems only impeding street vendors from obtaining the necessary licenses. Vendor carts also target a different audience compared to the traditional dine-in restaurant, with many consumers continuing to opt for the latter option. The convenience of purchasing from street vendors supports local businesses and the community as a whole in a casual, unpretentious manner unobtrusive to store-based businesses.

In order to make this entrepreneurship feasible, it is imperative that cities streamline the permit process. Cities like Stanton and Irvine require merchants to maintain at least a million dollars in liability insurance just as brick-and-mortar restaurants do in order to validate their business permits, inhibiting vendors from attaining legal licensure through unreasonable criteria. Alongside accessibility changes like providing translations for legal procedures, eliminating unnecessary obstacles in the permit process ensures that more street vendors can operate legally, reducing criminal charges and protecting vendor families.

When concerning the employment of its own citizens, Orange County must strive to help and inspire, rather than impede and discourage.

Solving a complex issue like illegal street vending will require an equally complex and multifaceted approach that encompasses concerns from both the public and the vendor community.

About the Contributors
Haley Nguyen
Haley Nguyen, Arts & Entertainment Editor
Haley Nguyen is a M.I.D. (majestic, intelligent, and delicious) junior and is going into her third year of Gamut. For this 2023-2024 school year, she will be Gamut’s A&E editor as “it’s more interesting than the other sections” and is looking forward to getting to know the new additions to the Gamut family. Haley is also involved in Key Club and VSA (Vietnamese Student Association), which she danced for at the annual International Show. Aside from school, she is super big on typology such as MBTI and is an ENFP, a Word Hunt Fiend, and a chronic afterschool napper. Her prized possession is her light blue HydroFlask, which you might see her carrying around. Although it’s dented, can’t stand up straight, has a hole at the bottom, and more, she treasures it as it’s been with her through thick and thin since seventh grade.
Rachel Yoon
Rachel Yoon, Opinion Editor
Joining during the quarantine year after encouragement from her English teacher, Rachel Yoon, a junior at Oxford Academy, is currently in her third year as a Gamut staff member. Skilled in both the arts and writing, she has both written and illustrated for the Gamut before. Rachel likes to paint and draw as a hobby but finds that writing is an easier way to put down her thoughts. She also has an interest in math, recently starting a math blog in hopes of helping others in the subject. With a strained relationship with the app TikTok—deleting it and redownloading it multiple times due to concerning screentime—she watches many cooking videos. As such, Rachel is an avid cook who cooks for herself and her family, following internet-famous cooks like Doobydobap and Cafehailee for inspiration. Despite this, Rachel is a baking hater, finding it a stressful medium compared to cooking’s forgiveness; cooking is a way to keep her focused and productive. Multi-talented and well-rounded, Rachel is serving as this year’s opinion editor!
Vanessa Marin-Ixlan
Vanessa Marin-Ixlan, Staff Artist
A new part of Gamut’s staff this year, Vanessa Marin-Ixlan is currently a junior that is excited to take on her role as an illustrator. Vanessa joined the school’s newspaper to experience a more professional work environment and work with other talented illustrators. She has loved drawing ever since she was a kid, starting off with sketches of magical dragons and later making her way into comics. Full of creativity and expression, Vanessa’s dream is to become a comic artist and create her own comic books in the future, so she is truly ecstatic to see her illustrations being printed on paper. Along with drawing, Vanessa enjoys theology, poetry, biology, and animals. She can often be found going on walks or lounging and reading scientific papers. Excited for the year ahead of her, Vanessa is looking forward to getting to know her fellow staff members and meeting people that have similar interests to her.