Senior Features: Spiritus Staff

Returning with the second installation of Senior Features, it’s time to take a look at the Spiritus  seniors’ insight and advice. Hard at work with their year-long project — a “love letter to the school” — here is a recap of their yearbook and high school experience!

Lynn Huynh

Editor in Chief Lynn Huynh What’s some advice for getting through Oxford?

“Be thankful for everything around you. It’s easy to get caught up in Oxford and think oh-my-god we have to do so much. And it’s true. But a lot of schools in the district don’t have the opportunities we are given at Oxford to succeed. And truly a lot of people that come out of this school go to good schools in the end. That’s not something you always see in other schools.”

Celline Lee

Editor in Chief Celline Lee — What do you think students should know?

“Have a life outside of Oxford. Really meet people outside of Oxford, try new stuff, build an experience outside of school. Oxford is such a bubble. There are so many diverse people outside [of this school, so] find a community or identity that you can really belong to. Finding all your worth in school is really deteriorating to your mental health.”

Kimberly Wong

Design and Layout Editor Kimberly Wong — What does yearbook mean to you?

“When I first joined yearbook, I didn’t know that for all those pictures, someone had to decide how big those boxes had to be. Someone had to decide how big the font was going to be for the text. Someone had to decide how it was all laid out. And now that I’ve learned more about design, how it works and the work that goes into it, I’ve gotten a better appreciation of [design].”

Michelle Kim (Left) and Janet Doan (Right)

Design and Layout Editor Janet Doan — What are you excited about for the yearbook?

“I’m really looking forward to the final product. Since it’s [our] senior year, it’s really our project. I’m going to be really sad when we have to leave, we’ve been [in yearbook] a good majority of our school life. I’m ready to move on but I’m also going to miss the people here.”

Copy Editor Michelle Kim — What’s something you’re looking forward to this year?

“Ever since I was young, I had this dream of living like in ‘High School Musical,’ throwing graduation caps and dancing off together. Then, going [into] high school, I realized of course that’s not going to happen. But still, I want that refreshing moment where I can look back and go, ‘Wow. I really went through all that. And now I’m starting a new chapter in my life.’ I really, really look forward to graduation.”

Although yearbook distribution day seems a lifetime away, the Spiritus staffers continue their hard work in and outside of the classroom documenting this year’s memories. After years of hard work and growth, these seniors are ready to make the most of their final year at Oxford.

Zoharys Jaen
Zoharys Jaen, Lifestyle Editor

Dedicated, hardworking, aggressively extroverted, and perhaps optimistic to a detriment, Zoharys Jaen is in her Senior year at Oxford and has been a member of Gamut staff since the 9th grade. First joining due to encouragement from her English teacher Ms. Galvan,  along with being interested in a chance for her work to be published and printed, she now serves as Gamuts Lifestyle editor. Though looking to constantly keep herself busy, she still finds free time to indulge in reading and watching romantic comedies which include the number 10 in their title, such as “10 Things I Hate About You” and “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.” Zoharys both plays and listens to music, her mastered instruments including both the piano to ukulele, and music taste ranging from Classical to K-pop. Her other assorted hobbies and interests include but are not limited to knitting, baking and reading poetry.

Trisha Phan
Trisha Phan, Editor in Chief
Trisha Phan, a senior at Oxford, is this year's Editor in Chief of The Gamut. A staff member since freshman year, she served as the Lifestyle Editor for the 22-23 school year (her personal favorite section, as a lover of fun diction and features). Trisha is also the Co-President of the new Law and Politics Club and the Co-President of Cartooning Club (and advises all who love drawing to join). During her free time, she enjoys crocheting stuffed animals and reading. A Lana Del Rey and Taylor Swift enthusiast, her favorite albums are NFR and Reputation. Since becoming part of the Gamut in her freshman year, Trisha has fallen in love with journalism, and is looking forward to trying new things this school year.

Senior Features: Spiritus Staff