“The Eras Tour:” A Swift journey through time

It’s Been A Long Time Coming: Taylor Swift took the stage at SoFi Stadium for six nights to close her U.S. leg of “The Eras Tour” (Photo by Paolo Villanueva/Flickr)

After almost five months on tour, Taylor Swift brought “The Eras Tour” to SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles, becoming the first artist to host six consecutive nights there. Taking the stage by storm with a commanding aura and endearing presence, she celebrated her fans and career with approximately 70,000 fans each night.

“The Eras Tour” showcases Swift’s discography throughout her life, combining songs from all 10 of her albums to make up for lost time during the pandemic and give fans the best experience possible. Because the concert is split into 10 sets, it feels straight out of Broadway, with each act having their own atmospheres and emotional climaxes. Through ball parties in “The Last Great American Dynasty” and dancers as chess pieces in “Mastermind,” Swift brilliantly combines theatrics and choreography for a thrilling performance. 

Swift devotedly performed 44 songs for over three hours — a remarkable feat, as she and Beyoncé are the only contemporary pop artists to do this. The tour’s production shines through on-screen visuals, projecting gems during “Bejeweled” and a neon city during “1989.” The stage itself illuminates with a life of its own — even portraying an animation of Swift swimming when she literally dives into the stage. 

Sets also come in and out — her famed “Lover” house containing unique rooms for each of her albums, an office during “The Man,” and a cabin during the “Folklore” set. Light up wristbands handed at the door change colors based on songs — even creating hearts during “Lover.” Combining intricate props and curated visuals, Swift is both a masterful singer and immersive storyteller, enhancing the aura and magic of the concert even while apparently trampling over a city and screaming for help in “Anti-Hero.”

Despite being at the center of attention for thousands, Swift is surprisingly intimate through personalizing her speeches and iconic song intros for fans each night, The love Swift pours out is returned in standing ovations that, at closing night, would not cease. With the energy LA met her with, the last nights of the U.S. leg felt more than just choreography — Swift was truly immersed, living and performing, enamoring fans. Her effortlessly magnetic stage presence captivated fans — commanding crowds to scream with just a finger point. Through her adoration and hospitality, Swift forged unforgettable moments fans will look back on.

But “The Eras Tour”  also buzzed with excitement and creative energy from the Swiftie community — fans flocked the stadium dressed in costumes representing Swift’s lyrics, outfits, or even characters from music videos. Inside, they exchanged DIY friendship bracelets — a tradition popularized from the release of “Midnights,” while electrifying anticipation peaked with the closing night’s announcement of “1989 (Taylor’s Version).” Meanwhile, fans that weren’t able to get tickets participated in “Taygating:” listening outside of the stadium, while others watched on live streams. 

After over three hours have elapsed, Swift takes one final bow with “Karma,”  a fitting ending as she looks back on the career and the fans that have blessed her, reflecting on her career thus-far and looking hopefully to the future.

“The Eras Tour” is a concert few could host — condensing 17 years of music into one concert, all while captivating fans through enthralling vocals, performance, and production. In one timeless night, Swift brandishes her versatility and growth as an artist through the years, proving her legacy in the music industry for now and years to come.

Justin Le
Justin Le, Staff Writer
Justin Le is a current sophomore, beginning his second year on the Gamut staff. His interest in joining the staff came from the popular 2000s television show, Gilmore Girls, one of his personal favorite series. Since one of the protagonists is a member of their respective student-run newspaper, it only made sense for him to follow suit. Additionally, some of Justin's hobbies include binging TV shows, reading from time to time, and joining sports for about a 24-hour period before promptly quitting them. Although Justin may not be very dedicated to his life as a student athlete, he is certainly dedicated to The Gamut, so much so that he sacrificed his year-long pencil pouch for the sake of keeping a stack of GamSlam brochures from blowing away. Justin’s former Word Hunt addiction might also be pretty compelling, considering he has a total of 1858 wins, more than should be humanly possible. In addition, Justin stays involved here at Oxford, as he is SCC’s Activities Commissioner, as well as an active member of VSA, International Club, and ECO. So when he's not writing moving articles about Taylor Swift, he's got a plethora of other activities to choose from.