Spending more fun, less money this spring break

Chris Phan

As another break rolls around, unique and cheap plans can get increasingly difficult to come across. For those stuck in Orange County with limited finances (and are sick of the Source, Cerritos Mall, and Anaheim Gardenwalk), consider the following low-cost hangout spots to spice up your spring break!

Costa Mesa

A popular location on most Southern Californians’ bucket lists, the Orange County Museum of Art (OCMA) boasts free admission and a vibrant modern art scene. Its installations vary seasonally, but aside from the standard canvases, expect curious abstract sculptures and multimedia exhibitions, born from mediums such as sand and clay. Just a five-minute walk from OCMA is the tranquil Noguchi Garden, juxtaposing the museum’s experimental absurdity with landscape-themed minimalism, featuring mini deserts and cleanly constructed rivers. If you have a few bucks to spare, hit the LAB Anti-mall nearby for a curated thrift sesh.

Downtown Long Beach

If you have extra locks lying around or simply don’t care to protect your PE locker, head down to Love Locks at Shoreline Village. Inscribe a sentimental message onto your lock to affix it to a chain-link bridge to immortalize your relationships. Or, for just $11 an hour, spend a sunny spring afternoon in charming swan boats that cruise past the Queen Mary and the lighthouse. At night, the swan boats illuminate the evening harbor for a breathtaking twinkling spectacle. Be warned, though: the rest of Shoreline Village poses a notoriously hefty threat to frugal wallets.

Laguna Beach Hidden Salt Pools

Per its namesake, the hidden salt pools of Laguna Beach are tucked away in a cave that can only be discovered by hiking the “Thousand Step Beach.” Perfect for those who love an adventurous trek and a rewarding picturesque swim afterward, these hidden gems stretch beneath the overhead sun and offer a horizon view of Catalina Island. Stay vigilant and watch your step, as the pools overlook the ocean with only a rocky terrace in between. To optimize your experience, monitor the tides beforehand to ensure they are low and safe.

Public Parks and Libraries

Sometimes, the best hangouts are the ones right in front of you: public parks and libraries. Whether you cozy up at Heritage Park next to the whimsical Cerritos Library or unwind at the botanical paradise Huntington Beach Library, it never hurts to bring a few friends and picnic blankets. Explore the enchanting, scenic library interiors then head to the nearby parks and fix up a dreamy picnic potluck with your pals, or channel your inner artists and paint Pinterest-worthy ceramic mugs. If you crave a challenge, embark on a quest to fold a thousand paper cranes in exchange for a grandiose wish. Do all three for an afternoon’s worth of fun, then stay until evening to watch the sunset.

Whether you’re venturing Orange County’s unknown, visiting the hottest modern art museums, or just simply getting out of bed to not rot for an entire week, spring break is your oyster and opportunity to unearth SoCal’s treasures!

About the Contributors
Haley Nguyen
Haley Nguyen, Arts & Entertainment Editor
Haley Nguyen is a M.I.D. (majestic, intelligent, and delicious) junior and is going into her third year of Gamut. For this 2023-2024 school year, she will be Gamut’s A&E editor as “it’s more interesting than the other sections” and is looking forward to getting to know the new additions to the Gamut family. Haley is also involved in Key Club and VSA (Vietnamese Student Association), which she danced for at the annual International Show. Aside from school, she is super big on typology such as MBTI and is an ENFP, a Word Hunt Fiend, and a chronic afterschool napper. Her prized possession is her light blue HydroFlask, which you might see her carrying around. Although it’s dented, can’t stand up straight, has a hole at the bottom, and more, she treasures it as it’s been with her through thick and thin since seventh grade.
Chris Phan
Chris Phan, Staff Artist
As a sophomore and first-year illustrator, Chris Phan joined the Gamut for the opportunity to improve and publish his digital artworks, meet new people of all grade levels, and have fun with his friends. This summer, Chris spent lots of his time developing his artistic talents, which first originated from watching anime and feeling inspired to create art in the fifth grade. Despite his creative endeavors as a publicist in OA HOSA and children’s book illustrator in the OCAPICA ROOTED program, Chris enjoys STEM subjects, such as biotechnology, and sees himself going down the medical path. School aside, some of his other interests and hobbies include jamming out to indie rock, watching the T.V. show “House”, and munching on spicy chips (which his stomach can’t handle). His dream vacation is to visit the East Coast – especially to venture around the dirty subways of New York!