It’s time to rethink how colleges pay their student athletes

Rowan Lee

As college athletics become increasingly popular and profitable, compensation for collegiate student athletes has been in higher demand. However, both the immediate and long term consequences of such a plan are impractical in the current financial climate. The expenses and distractions that come with additional payment create a significant disruption to the institution’s budget, as well as pose burdens on the rest of the student body.

California was the first state to pass the NIL (name, image, likeness) law on Jan. 1, 2023, authorizing college athletes to profit off of the earnings made from their play. 18 other states followed suit throughout the year, urging further action to cement the logistics of the law. 

Despite its popularity, the lack of clarity in the NIL law poses obstacles for the different administrations involved, such as colleges and the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA). According to economist Jeffrey Dorfman, only a few popular collegiate programs bring in any profit; most other departments actually lose money. Without a profitable source of funding and a definite amount of money being paid to the student-athletes, it is impossible for the law to be enacted into the student-athlete system and function for the long-term. 

Furthermore, implementing the system long term would require enormous amounts of money, with collegiate superstars like Bronny James making up to $5.9 million under the NIL law. To fulfill the needs of each athlete under the system, institutions would have to allocate and redistribute their funding as a whole, taking away from other scholarship opportunities and campus programs offered to the entire student body. 

However, supporters of the plan emphasize the expensive and time-consuming aspects of college sports, with athletes heavily investing into sports equipment and packing their busy schedules with early practices. What they fail to realize is that student athletes already receive funding through athletic scholarships, which takes a heavy load off of their tuition. The NCAA provides a total of $3.6 billion annually in athletic scholarships, with an average of $14,500 going to each student athlete. Considering that collegiate sports are an extension of the players’ interests, the present monetary scholarships are already sufficient.

To address logistical complications, the NIL law must be clearly defined. Important details such as the amount of money being paid, the source of the money, and the list of sports receiving that money have not been laid out yet. The NIL law needs immediate changes and rethinking to reap the benefits of a sustainable and long term payment system.

While paying college athletes may seem good intentioned in theory, the implications of unclear legislation are unsustainable for the athletic institution. Furthermore, college athletes are left in more confusion without clarification of payment. California’s NIL law needs clear, strategic, and adjustable details to effectively execute the well-intentioned practice.

Audrey Lee
Audrey Lee, Staff Writer
Audrey Lee is a freshman joining the Gamut as a staff writer. She joined Gamut with a love for literature, wanting to experience what it is like being a student journalist. She is also very excited about Gamut events like Secret Santa and the OCJEA competition. One of her favorite pastimes is reading, with Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand as one of her favorite books of all time. She is also passionate about volleyball and has even earned a spot on the Oxford Varsity volleyball team. Despite being one of the youngest members on the team, she feels like there is no barrier between her and her upperclassmen teammates; something that she loves about this team is that they are all very encouraging and they let her know that she can make an impact in the team regardless of her age. Besides practicing volleyball or reading, Audrey tends to be active in the OASIS club and hopes to join more clubs this school year.
Rowan Lee
Rowan Lee, Art/Layout Editor
Aside from finally graduating, Rowan Lee is looking most forward to serving as The Gamut’s Art and Layout Editor for their final year of high school. Their go-to hobbies are drawing and painting: an explanation as to why they immediately applied to join The Gamut staff after learning there were drawing positions available, along with their having illustrated for The Gamut for the past 3 years. Outside of the Gamut, Rowan takes their fascination with Japanese culture to the OA Japanese Club, where they serve as Tech Chair. When they’re not busy taking on their various roles at school, drawing fanart for Jujutsu Kaisen (their favorite anime of all time), or jamming out to their 3-hour long SE SO NEON playlist, Rowan guiltily admits that they spend their free time playing Valorant or watching VTubers (virtual YouTubers). Rowan honestly confesses that their Senioritis has been kicking in since Junior year, but as the diligent worker they are, they vow to push through till the very night they toss their cap into the air at Handel Stadium.