Christmas Movies Should Not Be Copy-Pasted

Sydnee Cho

As the mid-December frost begins to fill the air, there’s nothing like warming up with a fluffy blanket, a comforting cup of hot cocoa, and a jolly Christmas movie. However, those searching for new holiday content are bound to be disappointed as recent films, like “The Princess Switch,” “The Holiday Calendar,” and “Christmas Inheritance,” are unable to live up to the must-watch status of classics. Recent holiday flicks fall victim to the modern Christmas movie phenomenon, where drizzled on sweet sentimentality and copy-paste plots culminate into a mediocre viewing experience. 

Classics are cherished because of their relatability and authenticity which contrasts the utopian movies that fill today’s cinemas. Scrooge from “A Christmas Carol,” (2009) George Bailey from “It’s a Wonderful Life,” (1946) and Kevin McCallister from “Home Alone” (1990) feel helplessness, loneliness, and even hatred, unlike the artificially cheery characters in modern films. Though their journeys may take a magical spin, these characters experience real-life struggles like being forgotten or dealing with being on the verge of bankruptcy that newer films substitute for fantasy excursions. Their relatable distress creates a fuller story that resonates with the audience while encompassing valuable themes of a holiday spirit.

On the other hand, modern Christmas movies are often too formulaic to be enjoyable. Almost always, a driven protagonist has to undergo meaningless trials to restore Christmas magic while falling in love and gaining a newfound appreciation of the holidays. Hallmark, one of the biggest producers of new holiday movies, omits drinking, swearing, and intense conflict. Shying away from featuring realistic challenges and instead featuring strictly G-rated content make these films one-dimensional and artificial. 

Beyond today’s holiday tales having bland and repetitive plots, they are often dragged out into sequels. For example, “A Christmas Prince” and “A Princess Switch” were turned into trilogies, with each installment featuring a different holiday-themed surface-level conflict.” These movies simply reiterate the flaws of the original films, vomiting these shortcomings into sub-par sequels. 

To lure in an audience, filmmakers have also tried remaking classics. “Home Sweet Home Alone” is a poorly executed film with the same plot as the original, though with a twist. Adding unnecessary depth to villains, the adaptation forces a layer of morality onto the audience, rendering the lighthearted mischievousness intent ineffective. A poor attempt to feign the nostalgia of the originals, many of these remakes are merely a desperate money grab.

Of course, people can indulge in a light-hearted tale with a sweet and simple plotline without it being well-developed. In addition, movie companies like Hallmark often operate with a budget of under a million, meaning they don’t have the funds to create cinematically intricate films. Nonetheless, feel-good movies don’t need to be basic. At the very least, producers should invest in creating plots that demonstrate depth rather than surface-level storylines.

Modern Christmas tales take the demand for light-hearted movies to the next level: they pump out artificially sentimental films that feign nostalgia. With cliche plots and mediocre characters, it’s no wonder audiences have lost hope in modern Christmas films and continue to rewatch the traditional assortment of Christmas movies that bring the holiday season to life.

Lavanya Shyamsundar
Lavanya Shyamsundar, Managing Editor
Lavanya Shyamsundar will be serving the Gamut this year as Managing Editor. As a senior, she’s looking forward to completing college applications and most importantly enjoying her last year in high school. Lavanya first joined the Gamut out of her own interest for journalism and love for the newspaper, wanting to find a place where she could write. And in her fourth and final year in the Gamut, she’s excited about all of the new content that the Gamut will produce this year, as well as supporting and improving the Gamut community as a role model. Outside of senior expectations and Gamut responsibilities, Lavanya is a pasta-loving, Indian classical-music-enjoying singer who enjoys thought-provoking topics that make you think about life. She loves food (as long as it’s vegetarian), and loves the colors purple and pink, self-titling herself as “the embodiment of pink.” She enjoys listening to bands like Lamp, Radiohead, and Cocteau Twins. And if you’re ever talking to her, she might hit you with one of her very specific would-you-rather questions to spice up the conversation. As she takes the next step in life, her one piece of advice to underclassmen as a senior is to push yourself to try new things, even if it’s hard.
Zoharys Jaen
Zoharys Jaen, Lifestyle Editor

Dedicated, hardworking, aggressively extroverted, and perhaps optimistic to a detriment, Zoharys Jaen is in her Senior year at Oxford and has been a member of Gamut staff since the 9th grade. First joining due to encouragement from her English teacher Ms. Galvan,  along with being interested in a chance for her work to be published and printed, she now serves as Gamuts Lifestyle editor. Though looking to constantly keep herself busy, she still finds free time to indulge in reading and watching romantic comedies which include the number 10 in their title, such as “10 Things I Hate About You” and “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.” Zoharys both plays and listens to music, her mastered instruments including both the piano to ukulele, and music taste ranging from Classical to K-pop. Her other assorted hobbies and interests include but are not limited to knitting, baking and reading poetry.

Sydnee Cho
Sydnee Cho, Staff Artist
Sydnee Cho, a junior on the Gamut, is serving her third year as an illustrator and writer. Despite her intimidating nature (so she thinks), she adores the color pink (hence her phone case), Monster High, The Devil Wears Prada, and talking to others. Sydnee claims that she is a fashionable person, which is obvious with her mindblowing total of 11 piercings and shining silver jewelry. Alongside, she has a dangerous addiction to making money and spending it on online shopping, working as a waiter in LA county. Not so surprisingly, her favorite thing in the world is money. She usually spends her time listening to 80s and 90s music, as well as Lana Del Rey, or playing Royal Match (she is currently on level 3945!). To the freshmen who are nervous about their new adventures in high school, Sydnee gives the advice, “Calm down and chill, life ain’t that deep.”