The misogyny of Andrew Tate’s toxic takes

Vivian Nguyen

Andrew Tate, a 38 year-old British-American with a net worth of $700 million, can be described as a famous social media personality, a former professional kickboxer, and a misogynist. Tate spreads sexist, violent, and hateful ideas online under the guise of “advice,” poisoning the minds of his viewers, especially younger men. On Dec. 29, 2022, Tate was arrested in Romania on charges of rape and human trafficking. This, along with many other allegations, show Tate to be unfit to influence his massive 4.5 million followers on Twitter. People must stop tolerating the ideas of figures like Tate and instead educate boys on how to be confident in the way they are.

Tate embodies the idea of toxic masculinity as he spreads the idea that boys should be invulnerable, violent, and indifferent in order to be a “man.” He describes the “masculine perspective” as “war” and said online that “men who live without self-control are the kind of men who cry when their girlfriend cheats on them.” He teaches that successful men are stoic and do not ask for help, when emotional repression actually harms people’s health. A study by psychologist J. W. Pennebaker found that individuals who suppress emotions are more vulnerable to physical and mental illnesses, while a study by various sociologists showed that men who endorse toxic masculinity may be more socially isolated, impacting health and happiness. Tate also gives unhealthy advice for mental health, saying men have to “internalize it [trauma], accept it, and weaponize it,” rather than seek proper support.

Exacerbating these outdated “masculine” beliefs, Tate touts misogyny to his following. He consistently advocates  for traditional gender roles and believes that men should control women, condemning the idea that women are equal to men. Tate also compared women to dogs, saying men should not be responsible for “a woman that doesn’t obey [him].” When Tate was asked how he would react if a woman accused him of cheating, on Twitter he said, “It’s bang out the machete, boom in her face and grip her by the neck.” Tate loudly objectifies and dehumanizes women to a violent extent, emboldening his audience to disrespect and harm women around them.

Since Tate is rich, well-spoken, and physically fit, people overlook his problematic takes in his “empowering” quotes that make his followers feel secure. This is especially an issue for children and teens who are allured by his “tough guy” act and unconsciously develop his offensive beliefs. 

If future generations continue to consume the toxic and misogynistic media of influencers like Tate, more men will develop unhealthy views, endangering themselves and others around them. People should report hateful influencers before they start to reach out to impressionable audiences. By taking steps to educate themselves and others that it is valid and normal for men to show emotions and seek help, people can help erase destructive stigmas.

Michelle Choy
Michelle Choy, News Editor

Michelle Choy is serving her final year with Gamut as a News Editor and, despite being in her Senior year, still plans to work just as hard researching and communicating the facts. Some of her many hobbies include bike riding, roller skating, dancing, reading manga, and playing video games like Overwatch 2. She considers herself a foodie and likes eating a lot, but overall eats healthy. She also enjoys traveling and seeing the world, but her all-time favorite travel destination is Hawaii. Michelle considers herself similar to a panda because of her passion for food and comforting nature which helped her reach the position of Vice President in the Big Brothers Big Sisters club. When it comes to reading, her favorite book series has been "The Hunger Games". A fun fact about her is that she has helped foster over fifteen cats in her lifetime. Beyond Gamut, Michelle intends to pursue a career in either economics or business administration.

Vivian Nguyen
Vivian Nguyen, Senior Staff Artist
Entering her senior year at Oxford Academy, Vivian Nguyen is currently in her third year of illustrating for the Gamut. Her love for the comics and illustrations in the newspaper prior to her time on staff convinced her to become a contributor for the paper. Aside from drawing, Vivian enjoys creating HTML websites in various themes, as well as playing minesweeper and solitaire. Despite being a fan of a wide variety of items, ranging from 90s-esque things, Dr. Pepper Zero, raw salmon, and alkaline soap, Vivian also holds grudges against bitter melons and Myers-Briggs personality indicators. Vivian looks forward to spending her last year illustrating for new Gamut issues and helping with Gamut events — but most importantly, graduating.