Megan Thee Stallion: Misogynoir in America

Sarah Li

On Aug. 20, 2020, rapper Megan Thee Stallion revealed on Instagram live that she was shot by Tory Lanez, another music artist. The internet quickly turned her vulnerable moment into an opportunity to send hate, death threats, and blame, disregarding her humanity— rooting from the normalization of misogynoir, or anti-Black misogyny. 

Misogynoir has been embedded in American society for centuries. At the 1851 Women’s Convention, Sojourner Truth spoke out about this discrimination in her “Ain’t I A Woman” speech. Now, people implicitly fit Black women into tropes like the “strong Black woman,” where they are portrayed as being invulnerable. 

In June 2020, 37-year-old Amy Mason-Cooley posted on Facebook about her experiences with the trope in the medical community. She was in excruciating pain due to sickle cell disease, but was taken off medications 24 hours later by her doctor despite pleas of her inability to walk. The post was shared over 13,000 times before it went private. 

The trope is also popularized through media like Annalise Keating in “How to Get Away with Murder,” who is seen as unbreakable, and she rebounds from her hardships in life. With seemingly realistic depictions, the distinction between characters and people blur, establishing ground for Black women to be expected as embodiments of these caricatures, as society continuously fails them. 

After the 2004 Halftime Show, where Janet Jackson’s breast was partially exposed during the performance, Jackson’s career met uncertainty while Justin Timberlake’s continued to grow. Despite the situation being an accident, outrage was felt over it, and only Jackson took the blame. People waited for a moment to attack her and her career  — as they tried again with Megan Thee Stallion. 

“[American] culture doesn’t know what to do with independent women, definitely not independent Black women,” New York Times culture writer Jenna Wortham said in Hulu’s Janet Jackson documentary, “Malfunction.” “There are really rigid containers the world expects Black women to fit into.”

When Black women advocate for themselves, they’re seen as angry and are shamed while White women are praised. Megan Thee Stallion is already not treated like a real person and was further dehumanized through death threats and other music artists, despite being the victim. 

The normalization of misogynoir creates an opening for people to ignore the severity of this humiliation. Stemming from anti-Black-women ideas, these dehumanizing and disrespectful jokes must end.

Megan Thee Stallion is not a character; she is a real person. These situations should not be made into jokes that ignore the acts of violence and trauma inflicted on Black women. 

“It might be funny to y’all and just another messy topic to talk about,” Megan Thee Stallion tweeted. “But this is my real life. I’m hurt and traumatized.”

However, Megan Thee Stallion won’t stop here. Although a significant event in her recent life, this situation does not define her. Others can join her in amplifying Black women’s voices, uplifting them and fighting for equality. Calling out harmful behaviors — including jokes — is just one small step. People need to be ready to fully educate others and commit to the cause of destructuring misogynoir.

Justin Le
Justin Le, Staff Writer
Justin Le is a current sophomore, beginning his second year on the Gamut staff. His interest in joining the staff came from the popular 2000s television show, Gilmore Girls, one of his personal favorite series. Since one of the protagonists is a member of their respective student-run newspaper, it only made sense for him to follow suit. Additionally, some of Justin's hobbies include binging TV shows, reading from time to time, and joining sports for about a 24-hour period before promptly quitting them. Although Justin may not be very dedicated to his life as a student athlete, he is certainly dedicated to The Gamut, so much so that he sacrificed his year-long pencil pouch for the sake of keeping a stack of GamSlam brochures from blowing away. Justin’s former Word Hunt addiction might also be pretty compelling, considering he has a total of 1858 wins, more than should be humanly possible. In addition, Justin stays involved here at Oxford, as he is SCC’s Activities Commissioner, as well as an active member of VSA, International Club, and ECO. So when he's not writing moving articles about Taylor Swift, he's got a plethora of other activities to choose from.
Sarah Li
Sarah Li, Senior Staff Artist
Entering her last year of high school and second year on staff, the diligent, reliable, and pragmatic Sarah Li will serve as an illustrator for The Gamut. Aside from anticipating the joys of friendship and her senior year, Sarah allocates her time to her academic interests and hobbies, serving as Cyber Patriot president and SrCC member in addition to drawing and crocheting. Sarah’s appreciation for writing stems from its ability to provide an outlet for her thoughts, while her passion for art enables her ideas and creativities. Remaining ideologically dynamic, Sarah has no extreme dislikes, opting to keep an open mind instead. Sarah, a self-described T-Rex is looking forward to illustrating for The Gamut this school year!