The district’s activism needs more action

Wild Salubre

From inattentively posting social causes without context to supporting organizations with misleading messages, AUHSD’s performative activism fails to uplift its students and educate on important matters. The district needs to step out of its comfort zone to support these various causes — researching activism well to teach it more effectively and create it inclusively.

During different months (Women’s History, AAPI, Black History, etc.), AUHSD posts daily on their Instagram highlighting an influential figure who has progressed social justice causes. Followed by a student quote in the post and caption, the posts continue until the month ends. While this can be an earnest attempt at representation, the impact comes off as performative — the posts lack substance and context, skipping over the history and struggles of the person. The district should clarify its intentions and spread awareness on the importance of these months. They can achieve this by sending out resources, organizing events, and advocating for charities promoted by these influential figures.

Furthermore, AUHSD’s activism fails to support autistic students through poor research and understanding. Linking Autism Speaks on their Special Needs Body page, they advocate for an organization that frames autistic people as part of an epidemic or genes to be eliminated, reinforcing stigmatization. The organization creates an unsafe environment for autistic students instead of treating them with the compassion or humanity they deserve. Autism Speaks has also never publicly apologized for creating a video that depicts autism as a threat and calling it worse than cancer or aids in a horror-film style. More research must be conducted before promoting random organizations that fail to support the right causes. Beyond this, the district can promote resources on their Instagram page to further their outreach and expand their audience.

While AUHSD does not have an obligation to be an activist, it should adhere to its vision of “creat[ing] a better world through unlimited you.” Recognition posts seem to build activism, yet nothing is ever done to promote student involvement and actively destructure oppressive systems. While bringing awareness to topics is a good start, the district ultimately has the power to go beyond and influence more action. Thorough research and informed context will communicate their ideas better and allow students to be unlimited versions of themselves.

While the district is well-intentioned, their execution must be improved. By directly educating on various oppressive systems in society year-round — similar to ethnic studies courses — they can support their student body the way they want to more effectively. Meaningful action is not always easy, and the district openly and clearly standing in solidarity with diverse communities is the first step in clarifying its message. Only then can AUHSD truly support its students and teach them how to make a positive difference in the world.

$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Oxford Academy. Your contribution will allow us to cover our website hosting for the 2024-2025 school year. Thank you for your support!

About the Contributor
Justin Le
Justin Le, Op-Ed Editor
Justin Le is a current sophomore, beginning his second year on the Gamut staff. His interest in joining the staff came from the popular 2000s television show, Gilmore Girls, one of his personal favorite series. Since one of the protagonists is a member of their respective student-run newspaper, it only made sense for him to follow suit. Additionally, some of Justin's hobbies include binging TV shows, reading from time to time, and joining sports for about a 24-hour period before promptly quitting them. Although Justin may not be very dedicated to his life as a student athlete, he is certainly dedicated to The Gamut, so much so that he sacrificed his year-long pencil pouch for the sake of keeping a stack of GamSlam brochures from blowing away. Justin’s former Word Hunt addiction might also be pretty compelling, considering he has a total of 1858 wins, more than should be humanly possible. In addition, Justin stays involved here at Oxford, as he is SCC’s Activities Commissioner, as well as an active member of VSA, International Club, and ECO. So when he's not writing moving articles about Taylor Swift, he's got a plethora of other activities to choose from.
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Activate Search