The Common App direct admissions program underway for expansion

New Additions: The University of Maryland Eastern Shore is one of 70 U.S. colleges participating in Common Application’s direct admission program this year. (Photo by William Johns)

In November 2023, Common Application, the undergraduate admission application for more than 1,000 colleges, sent direct admissions offers from 70 U.S. colleges to nearly 200,000 high school seniors.

The direct admissions program, initially assessed in 2021, is a way for first-generation and low-income students to easily connect with in-state colleges. Students who fulfill the minimum GPA and residency requirement for participating colleges, as determined by their Common App responses, receive non-binding email offers detailing school’s the enrollment process. With just their Common App account information filled out and a complete application fee waiver, the student is guaranteed admission to that college. 

“I think it’s great that colleges are extending themselves to students who are normally exposed to a small pool of universities and educational opportunities,” said senior Dawn Tran, a first generation student. 

The previous iteration of this program in the 2022-2023 school year gave admission offers to nearly 30,000 students from 14 U.S. colleges. The expansion of the program this season has guaranteed admission for roughly one in eight seniors using the Common App platform. Newly participating colleges, including Mount Saint Mary’s University and Woodbury University in California, have joined this initiative to increase campus diversity and student enrollment. 

“The program gives opportunities for further education to underrepresented students that may not have had the opportunity to go otherwise,” senior Jacob Huh said. 

According to the president of Common App Jenny Rickard, the program’s priority is to inculcate confidence in student applicants. Since the National Student Clearinghouse Research Center found a decrease in undergraduate students pursuing a four-year degree in 2023, more state colleges have hoped to reverse the trend by welcoming disadvantaged applicants. 

“Each application matters. We are an open-access institution because we so firmly believe in recruiting first-generation students,” University of Maryland Eastern Shore president Heidi Anderson said. 

Aside from catering towards communities that have historically faced barriers to higher education, colleges are also expected to receive a benefit from offering direct admissions. The program anticipates an increase in enrollment percentages at colleges with previously low yield rates, specifically gearing towards underrepresented students. While the program’s past yield rates remain uncertain, a large-scale study by university professors Taylor Odle and Jennifer Delaney have found a 12 percent increase in the likelihood of students applying to a college.

“[It] is one of our efforts to know that college opportunity is an abundant resource available to them,” Common Application states on its web page on direct admission.

As the next generation of Americans look toward their opportunities past high school, the future of college admissions is working to encompass as many prospective students as possible, irregardless of limiting factors that have historically acted as a barrier to higher education.

Rachel Yoon
Rachel Yoon, Opinion Editor
Joining during the quarantine year after encouragement from her English teacher, Rachel Yoon, a junior at Oxford Academy, is currently in her third year as a Gamut staff member. Skilled in both the arts and writing, she has both written and illustrated for the Gamut before. Rachel likes to paint and draw as a hobby but finds that writing is an easier way to put down her thoughts. She also has an interest in math, recently starting a math blog in hopes of helping others in the subject. With a strained relationship with the app TikTok—deleting it and redownloading it multiple times due to concerning screentime—she watches many cooking videos. As such, Rachel is an avid cook who cooks for herself and her family, following internet-famous cooks like Doobydobap and Cafehailee for inspiration. Despite this, Rachel is a baking hater, finding it a stressful medium compared to cooking’s forgiveness; cooking is a way to keep her focused and productive. Multi-talented and well-rounded, Rachel is serving as this year’s opinion editor!
Sydnee Cho
Sydnee Cho, Staff Artist
Sydnee Cho, a junior on the Gamut, is serving her third year as an illustrator and writer. Despite her intimidating nature (so she thinks), she adores the color pink (hence her phone case), Monster High, The Devil Wears Prada, and talking to others. Sydnee claims that she is a fashionable person, which is obvious with her mindblowing total of 11 piercings and shining silver jewelry. Alongside, she has a dangerous addiction to making money and spending it on online shopping, working as a waiter in LA county. Not so surprisingly, her favorite thing in the world is money. She usually spends her time listening to 80s and 90s music, as well as Lana Del Rey, or playing Royal Match (she is currently on level 3945!). To the freshmen who are nervous about their new adventures in high school, Sydnee gives the advice, “Calm down and chill, life ain’t that deep.”