Music’s Biggest Night of the Year: The Grammys

Sarah Li

This year’s best guesses for who will take home the Big Four trophies at the 65th annual Grammys. 

Music’s most prominent annual award show, the Grammys, dazzles with vibrant performances, astonishing designer outfits, and fan-favorite stars. The 65th annual Grammys will be held at Crypto Arena in Los Angeles on Feb. 5. Despite their unpredictability, listeners can still make predictions on which of their favorite stars will get the prestigious title of Grammy winner.  

This year’s Big Four nominations did not disappoint with the abundance of diverse and talented artists. Beyoncé, this year’s top-nominated artist, came in with eight nods, along with Kendrick Lamar, Adele, and Brandie Carlile. 

Album of the Year is always a tough category for all nominees especially this year as each artist has amazing numbers and talent, making the competition tight. Nominees consist of “Voyage” by ABBA, “Un Verano Sin Ti” by Bad Bunny, “Good Morning Gorgeous (Deluxe)” by Mary J. Blige, and more.

However, Bad Bunny is a clear pick for the winner as his record-breaking urban Spanish rap album “Un Verano Sin Ti” took Spotify and Billboard charts by storm. His album was the first to reach over seven billion streams in its first week. Bad Bunny is known for his booming and rapid vocals enjoyed in both Spanish and English. This year his album is paving the way for more Latin artists as “Un Verano Sin Ti” is the very first entirely-Spanish album to be nominated for this category.  

Record of the Year nominees include “You and Me on the Rock,” by Brandi Carlile featuring Lucius, “Woman,” by Doja Cat, “Bad Habit,” by Steve Lacy, and “As It Was,” by Harry Styles.  

With the category being taken up by the industry’s top artists this won’t be a predictable award. Newer artists such as Steve Lacy will have their work cut out for them, going up against music legends like Beyoncé and Kendrick Lamar, the top nominated artists this year.

Nominated songs for Song of the Year include Taylor Swift’s “All Too Well (10 Minute Version)” and Bonnie Raitt’s “Just Like That.” Both songs fall into some of the same genres such as folk with minor differences that give the tracks a both sentimental and emotional feel while also being melodically airy and light.

Bonnie Raitt’s newest album “Just Like That” is a folk-blues album with a country twang that gives Raitt a unique flow and sound in her music.But, in this category, it is likely that Taylor Swift will be taking the trophy home as Swift’s “All Too Well (Ten Minute Version),” combines folk, soft pop, and a subtle hint of her retired southern drawl. The song illustrates the pushes and pulls of relationships and specifically ones with bigger age gaps.

The last of the Big Four awards, Best New Artist, recognizes artists and groups who have released within their eligibility year and impacted the music landscape. Nominee Omar Apollo is climbing up the Alternative R&B Soul genre with his melodious vibe and his more go-with-the-flow tracks. But, sure to take the win, nominee, Latto is one of the few female hip-hop nominees, has a more “city girl” rap and hip-hop feel to her music. She impresses with vocals, stage presence, and streaming numbers, with over 300 million streams this year.

Music’s top artists are going head-to-head for the Grammy titles, and one thing fans can be sure of is that the show will most certainly not disappoint. With every genre featuring a diverse mix of artists, the categories this year are sure to have exciting competition and deserving winners.

Mikaela Woo
Mikaela Woo, Staff Writer
Mikaela Woo is a sophomore staff writer who, after a little push from her English teacher, decided to pursue her passion for writing, joining the Gamut back in 2022. She hopes to inform readers through her research and reporting, focusing on topics in A&E and Sports, which align with her deep love for softball, music, and pop culture. Possessing a bold, friendly, and dynamic personality, Mikaela is open to pretty much everyone and not shy about what she likes. She has mixed music tastes, ranging from pop girly-girl vibes to heartbreak country songs, and she often listens to artists such as Taylor Swift, Gracie Abrams, Zach Bryan, and Cody Johnson. Beyond music, readers won't be able to catch her without her phone, Diet Coke, and makeup, notably her mascara. Mikaela also enjoys the vibrant and endearingly campy nostalgia of classic 2000s teen-girl movies and shows like Mean Girls, Legally Blonde, and Gilmore Girls. In the face of a challenge, she remains persistent and resilient, always being able to handle them just in time. Mikaela’s authenticity shines through, especially in her work, so make sure to tune in! It's Mikaela’s era this year, her version.
Sarah Li
Sarah Li, Senior Staff Artist
Entering her last year of high school and second year on staff, the diligent, reliable, and pragmatic Sarah Li will serve as an illustrator for The Gamut. Aside from anticipating the joys of friendship and her senior year, Sarah allocates her time to her academic interests and hobbies, serving as Cyber Patriot president and SrCC member in addition to drawing and crocheting. Sarah’s appreciation for writing stems from its ability to provide an outlet for her thoughts, while her passion for art enables her ideas and creativities. Remaining ideologically dynamic, Sarah has no extreme dislikes, opting to keep an open mind instead. Sarah, a self-described T-Rex is looking forward to illustrating for The Gamut this school year!