Greening it up with Oxford’s new menu

Minh Quan Pham
Greening it up: Cafeteria manager Tiffany Camarillo chops and bins cucumber slices for Tuesday’s fresh and tasty salad bar.

Hundreds of hungry Oxford students rush to the lunch line at approximately 11:50 a.m. every day. Waiting for their arrival is a large selection of meals, from a balanced teriyaki, broccoli, and rice bowl to a more fun plate of pizza and fries (with a salad, of course). These new breakfast and lunch additions didn’t just magically appear — Oxford’s cafeteria staff have been working hard since six o’clock in the morning to make mealtime extra special for students. 

Throughout this school year, the cafeteria staff put their focus onto nutritious and mindful menu changes. Tiffany Camarillo, Oxford’s cafeteria manager, is leading the process. 

“I saw what the students were getting for lunch and thought it could be a lot better. I started gradually, making little changes here and there. Eventually, I made a plan, explained it to everyone, and…just did it!” Camarillo said. 

One of the most notable changes in the lunch menu was the implementation of a salad bar inside of the MPR building. Gold Star, the cafeteria’s main food service company, provides fresh produce to Oxford’s kitchen every day. The selection of fruit and vegetables change with the produce seasons, while carrots and lettuce stay constant throughout. New healthy breakfast items have been implemented into the menu as well, such as the fruit smoothie, the yogurt parfait, and most recently — the fresh green smoothie.

“My whole theme is ‘green it up,’” Camarillo said. “It’s why we [focused on the salad bar] and added things like broccoli and other vegetables to the rice bowl.” 

While healthier foods have put themselves at the heart of recent menu changes, many students praised the wide variety of breakfast and lunch meals in general, such as the breakfast cinnamon roll and the lunch Shake Ramen. Camarillo’s personal favorite lunch option — “greening” it up aside — is the pizza served throughout the week.

“The new menu is really good!” freshman Ava Pitts said. “The only thing is I wish they had more vegetarian options.” 

Camarillo’s job is one that requires attention to detail and full perceptiveness to the student body, which includes tuning into student feedback. In her experience, choosing the menu each day and scheduling when each food item gets its time to shine was both the most stressful and the most enjoyable component to her role as cafeteria manager.

“I absolutely love my job. I love putting in the work and seeing it in action. I think it’s awesome seeing all the colors on everyone’s plates when they go through the salad bar,” Camarillo said. “So yeah! It’s great.”

Rachel Yoon
Rachel Yoon, Opinion Editor
Joining during the quarantine year after encouragement from her English teacher, Rachel Yoon, a junior at Oxford Academy, is currently in her third year as a Gamut staff member. Skilled in both the arts and writing, she has both written and illustrated for the Gamut before. Rachel likes to paint and draw as a hobby but finds that writing is an easier way to put down her thoughts. She also has an interest in math, recently starting a math blog in hopes of helping others in the subject. With a strained relationship with the app TikTok—deleting it and redownloading it multiple times due to concerning screentime—she watches many cooking videos. As such, Rachel is an avid cook who cooks for herself and her family, following internet-famous cooks like Doobydobap and Cafehailee for inspiration. Despite this, Rachel is a baking hater, finding it a stressful medium compared to cooking’s forgiveness; cooking is a way to keep her focused and productive. Multi-talented and well-rounded, Rachel is serving as this year’s opinion editor!
Haley Nguyen
Haley Nguyen, Arts & Entertainment Editor
Haley Nguyen is a M.I.D. (majestic, intelligent, and delicious) junior and is going into her third year of Gamut. For this 2023-2024 school year, she will be Gamut’s A&E editor as “it’s more interesting than the other sections” and is looking forward to getting to know the new additions to the Gamut family. Haley is also involved in Key Club and VSA (Vietnamese Student Association), which she danced for at the annual International Show. Aside from school, she is super big on typology such as MBTI and is an ENFP, a Word Hunt Fiend, and a chronic afterschool napper. Her prized possession is her light blue HydroFlask, which you might see her carrying around. Although it’s dented, can’t stand up straight, has a hole at the bottom, and more, she treasures it as it’s been with her through thick and thin since seventh grade.
Sam Salubre
Sam Salubre, Senior Staff Artist
Sam Salubre, or Wild, joined the Gamut staff as a freshman who was approached by our previous advisor, Mrs. Galvan. Sam is one of our illustrators at the Gamut and they were inspired by minecraft youtubers and Undertale as a third grader. Since they were inspired by Undertale, it's only obvious to guess that they love video games, such as Genshin Impact and Pokemon. Not only are the games fun to play but they’ve learned about different artstyles from the animation. Salubre is from the Philippines but hates a certain Filipino sour soup even though they like sour candies. Funny, imaginative and a good role model, Salubre can often be found sipping on a mango shake or a peach-flavored soda from 89 ranch market. Now as a senior at Oxford Academy, they’re looking forward to working with the new staff members and improving on the Gamslam the most!

Greening it up with Oxford’s new menu