Senior Features: Future Health Professionals

Zoharys Jaen
Collage by Zoharys Jaen

Returning from a four day Washington Leadership Academy (WLA) in Washington D.C., HOSA board members return to Oxford refreshed for the start of the school year. The Gamut wanted to emphasize the hard work and wonderful memories these seniors have made throughout their time in HOSA.

President Adrielle Federico – What inspired you to join HOSA?

“I joined HOSA because I was one of those people that knew early on they wanted to work in the medical field. When I joined HOSA as a member, I was intrigued by the officers because of how well put together they seemed and how hard they worked. I joined HOSA because of the passion, but what I got most from it was leadership and coming out of my own shell.”

Secretary Luqman Mohammed – What are HOSA conferences like?

“Conferences aren’t really about the competition but more about meeting new people and really getting to narrow down what you want to do and how you want to help people. This past summer we went to the International Leadership Conference and met people from China. Seeing people that have the same core philosophy of wanting to serve people while also having a diverse perspective in terms of them being from a whole other country; it’s very interesting to meet people that are both so similar and so different in lots of ways.”

Project and Partnership Chair Jolie Nguyen – What is your favorite part of SLC?

“It’s one of the best experiences ever. It grew my love for HOSA and since then I have had many opportunities to be part of something bigger than me. We get to meet so many other passionate HOSA members and it’s really inspiring. During the awards ceremony, you feel so much pride because every time you see someone from your school walk up on stage, everyone cheers. It’s so much fun having pride in Oxford.”

State Parliamentarian Megan Lloren – How would you sum up your HOSA experience?

“HOSA as a whole, at its core, is a community. It’s a family. Stick with it. You will make lifelong connections and learn so much about yourself. It gives you the opportunity to become the person you were meant to become, regardless if you want to be a medical professional. When you look back on your high school years you won’t remember your grades. What you’ll remember are the moments you have in high school and HOSA is a moment you will never forget.”

These seniors prepare to take on their final year decked in their HOSA blues as they prepare for one last State Leadership Conference in Anaheim. Working hard and paving the way for future health professionals, these four leaders remain ready to tackle the medical field head on.

Zoharys Jaen
Zoharys Jaen, Lifestyle Editor

Dedicated, hardworking, aggressively extroverted, and perhaps optimistic to a detriment, Zoharys Jaen is in her Senior year at Oxford and has been a member of Gamut staff since the 9th grade. First joining due to encouragement from her English teacher Ms. Galvan,  along with being interested in a chance for her work to be published and printed, she now serves as Gamuts Lifestyle editor. Though looking to constantly keep herself busy, she still finds free time to indulge in reading and watching romantic comedies which include the number 10 in their title, such as “10 Things I Hate About You” and “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.” Zoharys both plays and listens to music, her mastered instruments including both the piano to ukulele, and music taste ranging from Classical to K-pop. Her other assorted hobbies and interests include but are not limited to knitting, baking and reading poetry.