Unearthing latest additions to Oxford’s club life

Colorful trifolds and picture frames lined the quad from Sept. 12-15 for Oxford’s annual Club Rush, allowing students to join clubs aligned with their interests. With the addition of several student organizations, new explorable passions have invigorated the campus club scene.

The OA Law & Politics Club is a new addition to the political science department. Divided into two sections — nonprofit Crash Politics and Mock Trial competitions — the club will provide students volunteer hours for political journalism and allow them to simulate trials in a courtroom setting.

“Something I noticed about Oxford is that we lack a lot in the political department,” co-president Ashley Chen, a senior, said. “With this club, I’m hoping students will find a passion for law.”

Meanwhile, seniors Luqman Mohammed and Abigail Mengesha revived Oxford’s Black Student Union from its 2019 predecessor. The club aims to foster an inclusive environment for Black students and welcomes anyone interested in Black culture and history.

“One of our biggest goals is to do something for Black History Month in February, since there haven’t been any school activities specifically centered around [it] before,” Mengesha said. 

OA Film Society emerged as a rebrand of Oxford’s former Film Club, bringing educational cinema content to campus. Teaching members important film elements such as screenwriting and directing, the club intends to showcase their projects at the annual AUHSD Film Festival.

“We wanted to bring film into Oxford and empower people to use film as a vessel for storytelling,” president Nathan Perera, a sophomore, said. 

Students passionate about video games and coding banded together to form the OA Video Game Development Club. Labeled as “gamers making games,” the club will help students code their imagination into a virtual game reality, enriching students’ software skills in the process. 

“Video games are a technical dance between programming, coding, and the arts. It’s the best of both worlds, and this club represents that,” said president Joseph Lee, a junior.

A new horizon of meaningful commitments and communities have opened up to the Oxford student body. With these latest, highly welcoming clubs, there’s a spot on campus for everyone!

Rachel Yoon
Rachel Yoon, Opinion Editor
Joining during the quarantine year after encouragement from her English teacher, Rachel Yoon, a junior at Oxford Academy, is currently in her third year as a Gamut staff member. Skilled in both the arts and writing, she has both written and illustrated for the Gamut before. Rachel likes to paint and draw as a hobby but finds that writing is an easier way to put down her thoughts. She also has an interest in math, recently starting a math blog in hopes of helping others in the subject. With a strained relationship with the app TikTok—deleting it and redownloading it multiple times due to concerning screentime—she watches many cooking videos. As such, Rachel is an avid cook who cooks for herself and her family, following internet-famous cooks like Doobydobap and Cafehailee for inspiration. Despite this, Rachel is a baking hater, finding it a stressful medium compared to cooking’s forgiveness; cooking is a way to keep her focused and productive. Multi-talented and well-rounded, Rachel is serving as this year’s opinion editor!
Haley Nguyen
Haley Nguyen, Arts & Entertainment Editor
Haley Nguyen is a M.I.D. (majestic, intelligent, and delicious) junior and is going into her third year of Gamut. For this 2023-2024 school year, she will be Gamut’s A&E editor as “it’s more interesting than the other sections” and is looking forward to getting to know the new additions to the Gamut family. Haley is also involved in Key Club and VSA (Vietnamese Student Association), which she danced for at the annual International Show. Aside from school, she is super big on typology such as MBTI and is an ENFP, a Word Hunt Fiend, and a chronic afterschool napper. Her prized possession is her light blue HydroFlask, which you might see her carrying around. Although it’s dented, can’t stand up straight, has a hole at the bottom, and more, she treasures it as it’s been with her through thick and thin since seventh grade.
Danny Banuelos Chavez
Danny Banuelos Chavez, Staff Artist
Danny Banuelos Chavez, a current sophomore at Oxford Academy, is entering their first year at the Gamut as a photographer and illustrator. As a person who has always been keenly observant of others, they took an interest in photography and taking action shots of others. Chavez is an obsessive enjoyer of “Garfield” and is easily able to recant their days of scribbling the lasagna-loving cat in their notebook. They describe themself as wacky because they love to change things up all the time, such as their room and wallpaper. Chavez also indulges in thought-provoking and most esteemed comedies such as “Parks and Recreation” and “Arrested Development”. They partake in all forms of music ranging from metal to country, some of their favorite bands being Mitski, Hozier, and the Cure. Aside from their cultured interests, they consider their culinary taste to be a “bit basic”, since their favorite foods are avocado toast and wings. Chavez looks forward to putting their photography skills to work this upcoming year.