OA Social Worker: Breaking stigmas with Ms. Lopez

Photo courtesy of Ms. Lopez
Photo courtesy of Ms. Lopez

Meet Ms. Jacqueline Lopez, Oxford Academy’s social worker! Having worked in Anaheim Union High School District for five years, she’s entering her third year at Oxford, excited to help students and break the stigma around mental health.

Motivated by her parents’ value of education and her own struggles in a competitive private school, Ms. Lopez wanted to pursue a job to help children. Though initially planning to be a teacher, after being admitted to Cal State Fullerton’s 6% acceptance rate social work masters program, she found a calling for social work. 

“Social work allows me to be in the educational setting, but help [students] at a different level,” Ms. Lopez said. “People don’t know I struggled a lot in high school. I wish I [had access to a social worker] because I could find my way a bit sooner, [and not feel like] I had to be like the people around me.”

Today, Ms. Lopez’s days can be unpredictable, working with adolescents referred to her by staff or parents, who may suffer from more severe mental health issues that can jeopardize their safety, including anxiety, depression, and abuse. She assesses students’ needs and works closely with parents and administration to create a comfortable environment.

“I educate parents [and students] on what I’m seeing in the child,” Ms. Lopez said. “Sometimes, the kiddos [might think] ‘I feel this, but I don’t know what it is.’ You have to name it to tame it. If we can’t figure out [the problem], how are we supposed to help remedy it?”

This year, Ms. Lopez will further advocate for teens’ mental health, pushing out campaigns for Suicide Prevention Month and Mental Health Awareness Month. She wants to ensure students know they can always come to her for support. 

“Don’t wait for a crisis [to reach out],” Ms. Lopez said. “[Many people are afraid of their parents finding out], but consent is [key]. While [students] might be sharing difficult things that could lead to reports being made and parents being involved, it allows a door to open for change.” 

Battling Oxford’s hyper-competitive environment, Ms. Lopez strives to foster a community that is supportive of everyone’s needs.

“Students feel alone, like they’re the only ones dealing with [emotional issues],” Ms. Lopez said. “This can keep kids from [sharing] their struggles, fearing that [they] are different or aren’t good enough. I’m hoping that we can break that stigma, being mindful that if [you’re] not dealing with it, someone in [your] class might be dealing with it, and [ask] what can [you] do to help support them.”

Be sure to drop by the main office, and say hi! If Ms. Lopez’s door is open, she is always ready to talk.

“I love the courage and the intelligence of [Oxford students]. It’s [rewarding to help] those who might look like they have it all together, but yet, they’re hurting inside,” Ms. Lopez said. “Being able to help them address those [feelings will only] help them become a better student. I take pride in knowing that I have a part in helping these students be even more successful.”

Lavanya Shyamsundar
Lavanya Shyamsundar, Managing Editor
Lavanya Shyamsundar will be serving the Gamut this year as Managing Editor. As a senior, she’s looking forward to completing college applications and most importantly enjoying her last year in high school. Lavanya first joined the Gamut out of her own interest for journalism and love for the newspaper, wanting to find a place where she could write. And in her fourth and final year in the Gamut, she’s excited about all of the new content that the Gamut will produce this year, as well as supporting and improving the Gamut community as a role model. Outside of senior expectations and Gamut responsibilities, Lavanya is a pasta-loving, Indian classical-music-enjoying singer who enjoys thought-provoking topics that make you think about life. She loves food (as long as it’s vegetarian), and loves the colors purple and pink, self-titling herself as “the embodiment of pink.” She enjoys listening to bands like Lamp, Radiohead, and Cocteau Twins. And if you’re ever talking to her, she might hit you with one of her very specific would-you-rather questions to spice up the conversation. As she takes the next step in life, her one piece of advice to underclassmen as a senior is to push yourself to try new things, even if it’s hard.