Spotlighting Friends4Hope

Friends4Hope
Oxford students warmly welcome Hope School students like Genesis Chavez (Adult Transition Program) to Hope Homecoming.

A club dedicated to advocating for members of the disabled community, Friends4Hope connects with students from Hope School, a school for students with intellectual and developmental disabilities. From their recent Hope Homecoming on Oct. 21 to participating in Hope School’s Track or Treat on Oct. 28, they engage with Hope Students through fun and interactive events.

Inviting students from Oxford and Hope School, Friends4Hope hosted Hope Homecoming in the Oxford gym with basketball games, dances, and Candyland-themed decorations. A grand night to remember, it is considered one of the club’s largest events. Seniors Brianna Ngyuen and Christina Ngyuen, the presidents of Friends4Hope, aspire to cultivate a welcoming, unforgettable experience for people from Hope School.

“[Hope Homecoming] helped [volunteers] interact with disabled kids, raise awareness with the community, and build a stronger relationship with them,” said Christina Ngyuen.

In October, Friends4Hope visited Hope School for Track or Treat, where volunteers handled track events and prizes for Hope students. Cheering students on, volunteers also ran sensory activities for students that weren’t able to participate in physical events.

At general meetings, Friends4Hope educates on intellectual and developmental disabilities, explaining their difference from mental illnesses and the importance of understanding this to remove stigmas. Offering lifelong skills and beautiful memories, Friends4Hope builds an inclusive family to connect with disabled students.

“The biggest thing about Friends4Hope is when you join , you feel really good about spreading awareness and helping the community,” said Brianna Nguyen. “It’s great for making memories for the Hope students and for us.”

Michelle Choy
Michelle Choy, News Editor

Michelle Choy is serving her final year with Gamut as a News Editor and, despite being in her Senior year, still plans to work just as hard researching and communicating the facts. Some of her many hobbies include bike riding, roller skating, dancing, reading manga, and playing video games like Overwatch 2. She considers herself a foodie and likes eating a lot, but overall eats healthy. She also enjoys traveling and seeing the world, but her all-time favorite travel destination is Hawaii. Michelle considers herself similar to a panda because of her passion for food and comforting nature which helped her reach the position of Vice President in the Big Brothers Big Sisters club. When it comes to reading, her favorite book series has been "The Hunger Games". A fun fact about her is that she has helped foster over fifteen cats in her lifetime. Beyond Gamut, Michelle intends to pursue a career in either economics or business administration.

Spotlighting Friends4Hope